Layer7 API Management

• 1.  [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 07:15 PM

Dear CA APIM users,

As a new GMU user, I want to export some services from a dev to test env.

I do prefer directory format for my exports, it is easier to browse between files and I get the same folder tree than the existing one in source gateway.

For exporting I used the command : GatewayMigrationUtility.sh migrateOut --argFile sourceSSGcommon.properties --folderName "someService" --dest Export_bundle

Problems appeared when I tried migrateIn command. I wanted to test the bundle before importing and thus use --test parameter : GatewayMigrationUtility.sh migrateIn –-argFile targetSSGcommon.properties --bundle Export_bundle --test –-results results.xml.

But I was surprised to notice that after running this command the "someService" was exposed on my target Gateway ! I was able to use the service like in my dev env, without "committing" the import (migrateIn without --test param).

The big issue I faced is when the migrateIn --test returned a conflict state for another service export... Because export was commited (and it was not supposed to!), my target gateway became unstable : I was able to connect to it via Policy Manager but impossible to do any actions. Then I try to reboot gateway and .. it was impossible, an error message telling me it was impossible to get an entity !

Two questions :

- Could you confirm me that migrateIn with --test arg is not supposed to act like I described ? I wonder if this bug is not related to the fact i used a bundle in directory format (all examples in doc used .xml simple file format) ...

- I am also wonderinf if the NewOrUpdate mapping action I set in my common property file is not responsible for the target broken Gateway. Some high-level dependecies of a service mapped with such action could provoke such a mess in a target gateway ?

Thank you for helping me

• 2.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Posted Oct 22, 2015 11:44 PM

They gateway should have NOT reacted the way it did. This is definitely strange and uncommon. The --test option should do as you intended and NOT commit the policy. The manage mappings command shouldn't have an effect on this either. If this is reproducible, please open a support ticket, so that this can be tracked.

• 3.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2015 04:04 AM

Hi Doyle_Reece,

Thank you for your confirmation.

I just noticied that I use GMU 1.1 version, but my soft Gateways are in 8.3.

Maybe someone from support team know if there is incompatibility issues ?

• 4.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2015 04:30 AM

I downloaded GMU 1.0 version and behavior is the same.

Here is my use-case : create a folder test in source Gateway, migrateOut it in simplefile format.

Then migrateIn this xml bundle with --test arg and .... test folder is created into target Gateway, without explicit commit.

So I'am puzzled about GMU. May I forgot something obvious or I face a really annoying bug in my env (Restman bugging ?)

• 5.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Posted Oct 23, 2015 07:40 AM

Silly question... What happens when you move the --test flag immediately after the migrateIn command?

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 6.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2015 08:25 AM

Hi acalbazana,

Nice try, but no it does not change the result.

Moreover I am sure that test mode is well interpreted by GMU because its response message ends with "Test migrate in successful".

This is a very strange behavior, could someone test this "test" flag ?

My conf : GMU 1.0 / GTW 8.3 patch 2

• 7.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Posted Oct 23, 2015 09:47 AM

i should of read further before commenting above. Please open a support case, this seems like a bug to me.

• 8.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2015 10:08 AM

Thank you Doyle_Reece,

I opened a support case. Very annoying bug

• 9.  Re: [GMU] migrateIn a bundle with directory format

Posted Oct 23, 2015 09:31 AM

SSG 8.3 uses GMU 1.0

SSG 8.4 uses GMU 1.1

Please try 1.0 and let us know how it works. No need to troubleshoot, if its a compatibility issue