CA Service Management

• 1.  SDM, version 12.7 - Truncate ticket description field

Posted Oct 28, 2015 07:16 AM

Is there a way to truncate the amount of text that is put into the ticket description form when a ticket is created via maileater to 4000?   We often have long email threads being forwarded that puts more than the 4000 characters into the description field when the ticket is initially created.  The first analyst to edit the ticket then has to remove some of that text before they can save the ticket.  I've played with the detail forms, specifying max characters and max length, but those seem to just control the amount of text that is displayed in that field on the form.  The full number of characters are still being put into the actual field, so the error message is still being thrown.

Thanks,

Tammy

• 2.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Truncate ticket description field

Posted Oct 28, 2015 11:01 AM

Hi Tammy - this is an interesting one.  The forms wont help, as you already know because maileater does not touch the forms - its using the text_api daemon behind the scenes.  One thing you might want to try is to have the end users use the "%DESCRIPTION=" attribute to specify the text that they want to be in the description - it should then ignore the rest after that.  The other option is to use the start-request and end-request parameters - which you can find info about here - http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec476415.aspx.

The other option here is to raise an idea on the communities here such that functionality be added so that when an email comes in that is longer than 4000 characters, the system truncates it and notates that, and then attaches the entire email to the case - so the analyst can still have access to all of the information that was sent.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Truncate ticket description field

Posted Oct 28, 2015 02:51 PM

Hi Jon,

Thanks, but we have 58,000 employees here that need to be able to just send regular emails (no special required characters) to create tickets.  (They also want the entire email to be part of the ticket anyway).  So I was really looking for a way that the system would just truncate it at 4000 characters, since we already have the entire email being attached to the ticket in our environment.  I will definitely submit an idea for this.

Thanks,

Tammy

• 4.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Truncate ticket description field

Posted Oct 28, 2015 12:04 PM

this can be done via spell if you interested,

mod file will be:

MODIFY cr PRE_VALIDATE z_trunc_desc() 1337 FILTER ((EVENT("INSERT"))&&(created_via=<email_method_id_here>));

spl:

cr::z_trunc_desc(...) {

if (strlen(description)>4000) {

send_wait(0, this, "call_attr", "description", "set_val", substr(description, 0, 4000));

}

}

remember to define correct creation method id,

sorry if there syntax errors presented cause i'm outside of the office

• 5.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Truncate ticket description field

Posted Oct 28, 2015 02:53 PM

Thanks, cdjj -- I do appreciate it, but I really try hard to stay away from customizations...

Tammy