Gen EDGE

• 1.  How to import z/OS DB2 tables into HE / Public Interface?

Posted Oct 30, 2015 03:34 PM

We have a number of z/OS DB2 tables that we would like to import into the HE so that Gen applications can be built using them.

What is the best way to go about it?    

We have looked a little bit at the Public Interface, but the details in the documentation are kind of sketchy, and there aren't any examples.

• 2.  Re: How to import z/OS DB2 tables into HE / Public Interface?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 30, 2015 05:45 PM

Douglas.Seaver, depending on how many tables and columns you want to add to your model(s), it may make more sense to add them manually to a model and then migrate those additions as needed.  At one time, CA Gen had a toolset plug-in application called the Database Schema Import Facility but it was geared towards working with Datacom and was dropped due to lack of customer interest.

I agree that the documentation is kind of sketchy and I commented on two areas that need correction.  However, that might not help as much as you'd like in this case.  It appears that the model import file needs to define the data model and data structure list for the tables and columns you want to add to the model.  So not only will you need to provide records to define all the different objects that make up the physical implementation of the model specifying the tables and columns, you will also need to specify the entity types and attributes that are related to those tables and columns.

Note that Model Import will only create a new model so you'll have to migrate that model into existing models in order to make use of them in existing applications.

• 3.  Re: How to import z/OS DB2 tables into HE / Public Interface?

Posted Nov 25, 2015 02:29 PM

John,

Following up on Doug’s query.  We do have a fairly large
    number of tables to add to a Gen model. I think we would be happy to be able to
    get the entity and attributes in a new model and then do the transformation.

However, the IMPORT documentation talks about a file of the
    object details and a file of descriptions, but does not give the layout of
    those files.  It does list the attributes and properties for each object
    type, but not the format wanted.

Is it comma delimited, fixed format etc.?  What format do
    dates and timestamps use?

Can you provide any details on the file layout and/or an example
    that would help clarify what is needed?

Thanks,

Rob Mossman

• 4.  Re: How to import z/OS DB2 tables into HE / Public Interface?

Posted Nov 30, 2015 05:27 PM

I have asked that the documentation for the Model Import Function be updated as it was missing 4 pages of the original written documentation.  Those four pages gave more details on the file format (column delimited, fixed format by the way) and I hope that those will be updated on the wiki soon (they are not there at the time of this writing.

Also, to Rob Mossman, you might want to get your own community id so that you don't have to use Douglas.Seaver's.

• 5.  Re: How to import z/OS DB2 tables into HE / Public Interface?

Posted Dec 01, 2015 08:40 AM

As of today, December 1, the changes to the wiki have been updated.  Please take a look and see if this gives you the information you need to import an model using the mainframe public interface.