Gen EDGE

• 1.  Jboss 7

Posted Nov 05, 2015 05:31 PM

When will get support Jboss 7 at the least? Currently the tech reqs only highlight JBoss5.1.

• 2.  Re: Jboss 7

Posted Nov 11, 2015 05:18 PM

JBoss changed the way that they do JNDI after version 5.1.  They only support this new method of using JNDI whereas WebSphere and WebLogic both support the old way and the new way.  We currently do not have plans to support the later releases as we'd have to redesign that part of the product just for JBoss.

Note that if you can use SOAP as your middleware choice instead of JAVA RMI and you generate the SOAP interface for your EJBs, you can use later versions of JBoss as this does not involve JNDI. 

• 3.  Re: Jboss 7

Posted Nov 12, 2015 03:45 AM

John,

Is it safe to assume that CA will now not be supporting JBoss anymore and it will be back to the Weblogic/Websphere support only?

Are there any plans to say use GlassFish, now that Payara now support this option ?

Any information would be helpful here, As we have converted 2 clients to Jboss and now think that this will be an issue for us (I posed this to CA support and this is the first clear sign or JBoss support or lack of)

• 4.  Re: Jboss 7

Posted Nov 13, 2015 06:00 PM

No, it is not a good assumption that we will not be supporting JBoss anymore; we just haven't got around to getting later versions of JBoss to work completely with our generated code.  We haven't heard any feedback as to whether we need to do this sooner rather than later either.  If others on the community feel like they need the newer versions of JBoss supported, we'll see if we can raise that in the priority.  Also, is there anyone out there wanting or actually using JBoss in a production environment?

Is there some reason that you need a newer version of JBoss and can't use the supported version?  Are you looking at the vendor supported versions of JBoss or is there some functionality you need to take advantage of?  Or is the company standardizing on a particular version of JBoss?

As for supporting GlassFish, could you add an Idea on the community to see if anyone else is interested in that support?

• 5.  Re: Jboss 7

Posted Jan 04, 2016 05:42 AM

John,

Sorry for the late reply, but yes we use Jboss in Production and why not the cost of ownership can be much cheaper than Weblogic and WebSphere.

The current supported version is Jboss5.1, basically we need to move to Java 7 to keep up with some swing compliance. I have no preference to either community or Vendor, I can get the code to work on both for the supported version.

So what is the basis for CA to assess whether Jboss x.x is in use for CA clients, I have not seen an app server poll, or conversation on current practices for deploy ? Not even sure of the Logic for which Jboss to support, basically EAP5 will be at closed support on the first Q of this year, so will the Tech Reqs be updated to Jboss6.x ?