IT Process Automation

• 1.  Is there a way to get a process to suspend itself?

Posted Nov 10, 2015 05:40 PM

I am working on exception handler functionality.  I have put retry counters in so that the exception handling doesn't just keep repeating forever.  After it has exhausted the retry attempts, it will email the PAM administrators that a problem has occurred.

At this point, I would prefer it if the process Suspended itself.  This will allow us to go in, correct anything that needs correcting and resume the process.  Currently I have a stop operator which means it will fail.  Once it fails, it is a bit of a headache for us to tidy up the ticket.

Another idea is to have a large delay, but I would much rather suspend the process.

Is this possible?

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to get a process to suspend itself?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2015 09:24 AM

I'm not finding a way to programmatically "Suspend" a process, but if you just don't end at a stop operator, the process will go into a "Blocked" state which will allow you to open that instance and suspend it/manipulate it.  Each operator has 2 ports, a success and a failure.  If those ports don't go anywhere, then the process ends in a "Blocked" state.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to get a process to suspend itself?

Posted Nov 12, 2015 03:29 PM

Ah yes, that makes much more sense than a long delay!  Thanks for the reply.

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to get a process to suspend itself?

Posted Nov 13, 2015 09:04 AM

Hello,

In the past, to suspend a running process in flight, I used a SOAP call into that PAM instance (itself) and executed the suspend command.  Use the 'controlProcess' method with an action of 'suspend'.  This will suspend the current process until it is resumed (either manually or by another process that executes the same SOAP call with an action of 'resume'.

I hope this helps!

Michael J. Fox