CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Giedrius Bekintis

Giedrius BekintisNov 17, 2015 09:05 AM

• 1.  SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 11, 2015 10:55 AM

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to modify the action description text that is posted in the activity log for an activity? 

The reason I'm asking about this is because I have included a table of the activity log entries in the 'transfer' email notification, to help people easily see what actions have occurred before the ticket was transferred to them.  But when someone replies to that email to update the ticket (or they forward that email with a new subject line to create a new ticket), the system is doing strange things with it, and I believe it's because the initial activity 'action description' text includes the % signs in it for the %DESCRIPTION, %ATTACHMENT, %DOCREP AND %FROM_EMAIL parts of the action description.  Is there a way to modify the action description that is posted in the activity log to either remove the % signs, or maybe just change the action description text to instead be the same as the system description?  (Create a new request/incident/problem/change/issue)

Thanks,

Tammy

• 2.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 16, 2015 07:10 AM

I do not know if I understand very well what you want, But I think this model should help.

Here show ticket details with the latest 10 activities.

Resumo

@{call_req_id.summary}

Descrição do CIM

@{call_req_id.description}

Data início do CIM

Ticket pai (Causa raiz)

@{call_req_id.zdata_restabelecimento}

@{call_req_id.external_system_ticket}

Qtde elementos afetados

Qtde clientes impactados

Localização do CIM

UF do CIM

@{call_req_id.string1}

@{call_req_id.string2}

@{call_req_id.string3}

@{call_req_id.string4}

Elementos afetados

Clientes impactados

@{call_req_id.zelementos_afetados}

@{call_req_id.zclientes_impactados}

Data

Histórico do registro das últimas atividades

@{call_req_id.act_log.0.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.0.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.1.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.1.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.2.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.2.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.3.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.3.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.4.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.4.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.5.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.5.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.6.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.6.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.7.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.7.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.8.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.8.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.9.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.9.description}

@{call_req_id.act_log.10.time_stamp}

@{call_req_id.act_log.10.description}

• 3.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 16, 2015 02:36 PM

I can't seem to reply to your response to my post on the communities site

for some reason, so I will try to post by replying to this email.

Thank you, Lrralves.  But I already have the latest 10 activities included

in the 'transfer' notification message template.  The problem I am

encountering is that when someone replies to that email to update the

ticket, if that ticket was created via email, the 'initial' activity

action description text that is being included in the email will contain

values with the % sign, which is causing the system to do erratic things

when it tries to update the ticket with the email reply.

So my question is if there is a way to change the action description that

is posted in the activity log for the initial activity to something else

that won't have the % signs in it -- Such as the same thing that is posted

for the system description for the initial activity.

Tammy Zadell

Technical Team Manager, Corporate Data Center Service Desk

Parker Hannifin Corporation

Corporate Information Technology Infrastructure Department

Direct:  216-896-2118

Cell:  216-408-6094

Service Desk:  1-888-795-4357

tzadell@parker.com

www.parker.com

• 4.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 05:54 AM

Hi, Sorry if I was unclear.

The sample sent as a model. But what I wanted to show is the line: "@ {} call_req_id.description" showing the initial description of the ticket and can be placed in your notification. This is what I understood you wanted to do when he said "Is there a way to modify the action description que is posted in the activity log to either remove the% signs, or maybe just change the action description text to instead be the same as the system description? (Create a new request / incident / problem / change / issue) "

• 5.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 06:29 AM

Hi Lrralves,

Yes, I already have the below table in my 'transfer' notification template, and the description column is showing me the action description, which is what I want it to do.  What I'm asking is if there is a way to change the action description text that gets posted in the activity log of the ticket to something other than what it current posts.  Right now, when the ticket is created via email, the action description text will have words with the % sign in it, and that is what I would like to change.

Thanks,

Tammy

Date/Time
    (US
    Eastern)
    Activity TypeAnalystDescription
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.0.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.0.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.0.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.0.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.1.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.1.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.1.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.1.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.2.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.2.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.2.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.2.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.3.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.3.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.3.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.3.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.4.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.4.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.4.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.4.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.5.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.5.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.5.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.5.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.6.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.6.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.6.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.6.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.7.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.7.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.7.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.7.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.8.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.8.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.8.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.8.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.9.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.9.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.9.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.9.description}
    @{call_req_id.act_log_all.10.time_stamp}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.10.type.sym}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.10.analyst.combo_name}@{call_req_id.act_log_all.10.description}

• 6.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 16, 2015 06:22 PM

Hi, i don't remember how email processing is implemented in sd12.7, but if it is the same as in 12.9 you can try to use EMAIL_IGNORE_INCOMING field of the rule to specify to ignore description keyword e.g. REQUEST.DESCRIPION, do not put % at the begining.

• 7.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 06:31 AM

Hi Gutis,

I'm not seeing a field named EMAIL_IGNORE_INCOMING in the mailbox rules...

Tammy

• 8.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 09:05 AM

• 9.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 02:41 AM

Go and check %NX_ROOT\site\mods\msg_catalog\pdm.xml or create the catalog if you don't have one and copy the original file from samples\msg_catalog to the location and edit it.

You should find your descriptions there.

• 10.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 06:34 AM

Hi Marcin,

I just looked through the pdm.xml file, which mostly looks like various error messages --- I did find some activity log message text definitions (msg ids 05630 through 05676), but I didn't see anything that looked to me like it was the action description for the 'initial' activity.  Do you know what msg id would be for the 'initial' activity?

Thanks.

Tammy

• 11.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 06:49 AM

I didn't know you are talking about the initial activity. I believe there is no way you can change the behaviour that the email body is included in the event description as far as I know.

• 12.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 08:02 AM

Marcin,

Probably this action is set in the script ""Post_Validate alg:: val_notifydesc..."" as shown below:

WSP.png

And the principle has no way to change the file, I've tried.

• 13.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 09:08 AM

You can but you need to create trigger and spel code for that. And you should trigger when log entry is of INIT type and description is changed. But i would suggest to explore others possibilities before trying that.

• 14.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 17, 2015 01:51 PM

Thanks, but I'd prefer to stay away from customizations.  Looks like there is no other way to do this, so I guess my current workaround (to include the below text in the 'transfer' message template) will have to be the permanent solution.

(If you would like to reply to this email to update the ticket or forward this email, please remove the 'Previous Actions Taken' table from the bottom of the email before sending)

Thanks everyone!

Tammy

• 15.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Feb 24, 2016 10:47 AM

Tammy,

We resolved a similar issue when integrating with maileater.  The system description with all the 'Created via EMAIL interface' variables was being displayed in the default Initial notification.  This meant that all those value pairs were being sent back in the body of the replies if the customer did not clear all previous replies before sending.  This caused maileater to evaluate all those variables again and again.

We modifying the Initial notification message template and simply removed the first instance of:

@{esc_style=html keeplinks=yes justify=line:description}

that is displayed directly under the 'HTML Message'.  But leaving the one under the 'Description' row in the HTML.

Description

@{esc_style=html keeplinks=yes justify=line:call_req_id.description}

This left the text of body of the initial email (what the customer wrote) as the Description only.

Afterwards, subsequent email replies were not including the original email variables and the notifications and actions were clear.

J.W.

• 16.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Feb 24, 2016 05:06 PM

Hi JW --
    I'm not sure I understand how to translate that to doing the same thing for my issue... I don't have the 'esc_style=html keeplinks=yes justify=line:'  part in the activity log fields that are in the table of my message template.  Below are screen prints of my entire message template.  Can you tell me if there is a similar way to fix my issue?

Thanks.

Tammy

• 17.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Feb 25, 2016 03:39 AM

Hi

What  you need is to make sure that no % characters will appears at the first characters or any new line in your email reply  in order to not be interpreted by maileater as a start of a tags.

This is what you will mostly accomplish using the formatting suggested in the previous reply using something like @{esc_style=html yes justify=line:call_req_id.act_log_all.0.description}

Jus give it a try

Hope this help

/J

• 18.  Re: SDM, version 12.7 - Modify the action description text on the initial activity?

Posted Feb 25, 2016 06:58 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I need to do, I just wasn't sure how to translate the solution to my template.  So you're saying that I need to add this part: esc_style=html yes justify=line: to the activity log fields that are in the table to accomplish that?   Ok, thanks for the clarification... I will be trying that today!

Tammy