Setting up and Troubleshooting RTTM and User Groups
APM 9.7 added a long-requested functionality -- support reporting on User Groups under RTTM. This is a powerful capability that will help determine quickly which collection of users are having issues with specific transitions. But in dealing with a customer case and reading the documentation, I realized that more needed to be documented in this area.
Two KBs were created which are listed below. This article provides details than what is listed therein.
Here is the essence of what I learned in the process:
Lesson #1: It helps to have a User Group Identifier such as Client IP. After doing this, the customer started to see user groups.
Lesson #2: User Group names on the Investigator and APM CE (CEM) GUI may not match. TIM User groups in the Investigator will have a tim- prefix while in the CEM MOM GUI, they will not.
Lesson #3: The alias and the pattern in the RTTM Matcher do not need to match.
It was unclear from reading the documentation if the alias was used in matching or not. But it is basically a description and nothing more.
Lesson #4: Troubleshooting changes depending if CEM is doing user grouping with or without RTTM under User Grouping enabled.
Lesson #5: The key to troubleshooting is examining two artifacts.
These are the following two files on the TIM:
1) btstatsconfig.xml in TIM_Home/Config
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<BTStatsConfig reportUserGroup="1" reportUrlPath="0" maxInstPerInterval="600" enabled="1">
In our case, we found out that this changed value was not being written out to this file.
It must have reportUserGroup enabled (i.e set to 1). Note that reportUrlPath may or may not be set
2) btstats.xml files in the TIMs "data/out/btstats" directory
Since these files are processed quickly, one have to stop the TIM, run a "watch cp" command to copy the file, and the like. The important thing is to verify is if user group
information is being passed in the RTTM file. There will be a stanza line like below if this is the case.
<BtInstance count="integer" userGroup="group name"... />
Lesson #6: Sometimes deleting the User Group from the APM CE GUI helped.
This allowed a new user group to be created. And the RTTM data files populated correctly.
I hope this is helpful. Please add any additional tips and I will get these added in the appropriate documentation
1. http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC1749361.aspx -- I have read the "Configure User Groups under RTTM" documentation. But it is not working as expected.
2. http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC1602488.aspx -- RTTM under User Groups Troubleshooting
Questions for Discussion:
1. Are you using the RTTM User Group functionality?
2. How easy was it to setup? Did you do some of the above in resolving your setup issues?
3. What else should I discuss?