Layer7 API Management

• 1.  What is the best way to get service usage per second from the gateway?

Posted Nov 20, 2015 12:02 PM

Hi,

I was trying to find if there is a method to get the service usage per second from the Gateway. The data in ssg database has a minimum interval of 5 seconds and it calculates average over 5 seconds to display on dashboard in policy manager. Even this data is there on the database only for an hour and it then gets added up and creates a new row for hourly statistics.

Regards,

Anand

• 2.  Re: What is the best way to get service usage per second from the gateway?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 20, 2015 03:17 PM

Hey Anand. You are correct, this will be a little difficult to collect b/c of the info you stated above. I've solved this problem leveraging tools like Splunk or ELK. The idea is to create a log entry per transaction that represents data you want analyzed over a period of time. Each entry represents a 'Transaction' and has a timestamp, the tool can calculate TPS for you based on a specific timeframe. Pretty cool stuff once you get into it and can be very powerful for analytics.

• 3.  Re: What is the best way to get service usage per second from the gateway?

Posted Mar 22, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi,

I got this cluster wide property metrics.fineInterval which is by default set as 5000 milliseconds, which sets the service metrics fine resolution value. Changing it to 1000 milliseconds can provide /sec data, but I assume this would impact gateway performance.

Regards,

Anand