DX NetOps

• 1.  Spectrum and VMWare VMotion/FT/HA

Posted Nov 30, 2015 06:16 AM

Hi

Does anyone have experience of how VAIM and the Spectrum Integration handle VMWARE Fault Tolerant/High Availability/VMOTION features?

For instance with VMOTION you can migrate a machine from running on one ESX Host to another. Does VAIM/Spectrum become aware of this and how does the Spectrum Topology/modelling handle this? Does it create a new model on the 2nd ESX? And what happens to the old VM model? Is there an alarm or event raised?

If FT is enabled for a VM, does Spectrum create a 2nd model for the secondary VM? What status is this normally on Spectrum (brown/grey I expect)? And what happens at the time the primary fails? Does this create an alarm in Spectrum?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards, John

• 2.  Re: Spectrum and VMWare VMotion/FT/HA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 30, 2015 10:04 AM

Hi John

The vcenter aim will notice the vmotion of the VM from one esx host to the other . And report this to the manager by a trap .

In Vaim manager will be moved to the new esx host . i assume the spectrum manager will also take care of this in the same way.

Regards Dirk

• 3.  Re: Spectrum and VMWare VMotion/FT/HA

Posted Dec 01, 2015 09:58 PM

Yes, Spectrum does too.  It's worth noting that excessive vmotioning results in constant rediscovery in Spectrum, which results in performance problems.

• 4.  Re: Spectrum and VMWare VMotion/FT/HA

Posted Dec 02, 2015 04:33 AM

Hi Scott

Thanks for that. I was hoping that would be the case but would like some more detail please.

For VMotion what happens to the original VM model in Spectrum, is this destroyed? Or maybe go into maintenance? Is there an alarm (or event) raised indicating that VMotion has taken place?

The same questions apply to VMWare Fault Tolerance and High Availability. Do you know the answer for those?

Regards, John

• 5.  Re: Spectrum and VMWare VMotion/FT/HA
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 02, 2015 11:18 AM

Hi John

Each time there is a vmotion, Spectrum picks up on an index change and re-associates the existing VM models from one ESX model to another. Each vmotion also triggers a discover connections to resolve the VMs to new switches.  I don't think there is an event for it, unless you can get a trap.  There will be reconfigure and discovery events.

The objects that ultimately get watched are vmvcAimStatVMIPv4Address, vmvcAimStatVMIPv6Address and vmvcAimStatVMIndex,

There is no functionality in Spectrum to track HA.

Scott

• 6.  Re: Spectrum and VMWare VMotion/FT/HA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2015 11:27 AM

There are vMotion events tracked in Spectrum and some nice built in reports: