DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Secondary hub

Posted Nov 30, 2015 06:02 AM

Hi,

please let me know how to install secondary hub in windows server and also make it as active once

primary went down. All mechanism should be transferred from primary to secondary.

Also would like to place devices in a group based on location. please let me know how to group it.

• 2.  Re: Secondary hub

• 3.  Re: Secondary hub

Posted Dec 06, 2015 01:48 PM

I believe that the documentation referred to might be insufficient and incorrect.

In particular I think that data_engine needs to be running on the HA standby. It will detect that it is a standby and is supposed to play nice with the data_engine on the primary.

Also, there are probes like discover, ugs, id_server, etc. that will need to be controlled as they in some way dependent on data_engine.

A decent "cookbook" for HA setup on the current 8.31 product would be nice to see as no one seems to be able to provide a definitive answer.

-Garin

• 4.  Re: Secondary hub

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2015 03:48 AM

Just to be clear...

The data engine on the secondary (or HA) hub must be deactivated in normal running, and is usually only activated by the HA probe.

Two data engines running concurrently is not a supported configuration.

cheers

• 5.  Re: Secondary hub

Posted Dec 07, 2015 08:22 AM

Page 19 of http://docs.nimsoft.com/prodhelp/en_US/Probes/Catalog/ha/1.4/ha-1.4.pdf  has the following statement

Important: Typically, the data_engine is configured to be always running on the

secondary hub. The secondary data_engine cannot perform maintenance operations,

which are relegated to the primary data_engine, but it can provide connection

information to clients that request such information as well as persist QoS information

to the NIS database

which specifically refers to a running secondary data engine and appears to be in contradiction to the not supported.

Is the documentation wrong?

-Garin

• 6.  Re: Secondary hub

Posted Dec 07, 2015 02:26 PM

It is, they're in the process of removing the slave functionality completely from data_engine. At least that's what they told me a year ago.

• 7.  Re: Secondary hub

Posted Dec 07, 2015 02:51 PM

Nice.

(I wrote and deleted three responses before settling on this one.)

• 8.  Re: Secondary hub

Posted Apr 19, 2018 04:28 PM

CA UIM v8.5.1 High Availability (HA) Guide
    Document ID : KB000010784
    https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/ca-uim-v851-high-availability-ha-guide/kb000010784