Our Knowledge Base has lots of documents with files attached (images and docs). This file names has special characters from portuguese language.
The export of the KB by the "Export/Import Templates" works fine, but if we select the "Export Attachments" option, the export stops with the following message:
12/01 17:25:53.30 V120P040 keit_daemon 39884 SIGNIFICANT FileMng.c 1059 AppendData() - Failed to open the file D:/CA/SERVIC~1/site/ke
it/export/package_V120P040_2015-12-01_05-25-33_400003/attachments/Conhecimento/388F0C98E5791E41A762A49A48D7A152_422622_Passo%20a%20passo%20para%20compactaâÂºâÃºo%20dos%20arquivos%20datafiles%20do%20backup%20online%20do%20sistema%20CYPRESS.pdf.gz. (No such file or directory (2))
After some troubleshooting we discovered that the export function modifies the character "ç (ce-cedilha)" for "Ã (A com til), because this attached file has the original name (physical path): "388F0C98E5791E41A762A49A48D7A152_422622_Passo a passo para compactação dos arquivos datafiles do backup online do sistema CYPRESS.pdf.gz"
I concluded that after the change in the filename is done, the file is not found.
I opened a case at CA.
If someone can provide me a solution I will be thankfull.