DX NetOps

• 1.  Anyone getting R6016-Not enough Space for Thread data running OneClick (9.2)?

Posted Dec 07, 2015 03:12 PM

We have setup a OneClick.jnlp to run with an initial heap size of 512m and max of 1530m.  For most of our users that have machines with 4Gig or more of ram, they are running fine.  However, one group is having an issue where when they run this option, they get an error message pop-up "RunTime Error! Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaws  R6016 - not enough space for thread data". 

Has anyone else run across this, and found a fix to it?

I have been searching the web and find that this error is prevalent across multiple tools running under Windows, but have various suggestions that have yet to result in a fix for us.  So I was hoping someone else may have run into this and knows how to fix it.

Thanks,

Bill

• 2.  Re: Anyone getting R6016-Not enough Space for Thread data running OneClick (9.2)?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2015 03:15 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Bill,

If you decrease the max to 1280M do the clients work?

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Anyone getting R6016-Not enough Space for Thread data running OneClick (9.2)?

Posted Dec 08, 2015 12:04 PM

It is weird.  Here is what I have found so far:

1280M - works no problem

1300M, 1400M - works but throws the error

1500M - works no problem, no error

1530M - does not work at all.  Throws error and Java does not start

I wish I knew more about what that "not enough space for thread data" really means so that I could see what would work out best for these clients. 16Gig RAM should work better than their old 4Gig desktops.  But we have had more problems with these than the old ones.

• 4.  Re: Anyone getting R6016-Not enough Space for Thread data running OneClick (9.2)?

Posted Dec 11, 2015 02:07 PM

Here is what I found on that error:

not enough space for thread data

System_CAPS_noteNote

If you encounter this error message, the named program was shut down because it has an internal memory problem. There are many possible reasons for this error, but often it's caused by a defect in the program or by corruption of the Visual C++ libraries that it uses.

You can try these steps to fix this error:

• Use the Programs and Features page in the Control Panel to repair or reinstall the program.
    • Use the Programs and Features page in the Control Panel to repair or reinstall all copies of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
    • Check Windows Update in the Control Panel for software updates.
    • Check for an updated version of the program.

This error occurs because the program did not receive enough memory from the operating system to complete a _beginthread or _beginthreadex call, or thread local storage has not been initialized by _beginthread or _beginthreadex.

When a new thread is started, the library must create an internal database for the thread. If the database cannot be expanded by using memory provided by the operating system, the thread does not begin and the calling process stops. This can happen when too many threads have been created by the process, or if thread local storage has been exhausted.

We recommend that an executable that calls the C run-time library (CRT) should use _beginthreadex for thread creation rather than the Windows APICreateThread. _beginthreadex initializes internal static storage used by many CRT functions in thread local storage. If you use CreateThread to create a thread, the CRT may terminate the process with R6016 when a call is made to a CRT function that requires initialized internal static storage.

• 5.  Re: Anyone getting R6016-Not enough Space for Thread data running OneClick (9.2)?

Posted Dec 18, 2015 08:44 AM

What I ended up finding out was that the OneClick client was running under 32bit java.  I learned a lot about Microsoft browsers and 32bit vs 64bit tabs with all this and now understand why OneClick runs so wonderfully on my Mac.

On my Mac, unlike Windows, java runs out of the browser in 64bit mode by default.  So every time I was running OneClick on my Mac it would run great.  I had a hard time understanding why so many people were having problems with OneClick crashing, hanging, sluggish, just overall a pain to use.  With Windows, even with a 64bit OS Windows with 64bit IE, the tabs default to 32bit mode.  So when you run OneClick, you will see the process run in 32bit mode (task manager - processes - has a *32 after the executable).  This meant that we had memory limits and other 32bit architecture problems on the Windows systems.

I found out that if you enable "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode", and if available "Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode" under Internet Options, Advanced Tab, Security Section, Windows will then run processes in Internet Explorer in 64bit mode.

Information on the web also indicates that even if you run Chrome or Firefox in 64bit mode, it will still not launch apps in 64bit mode.  We have not tested this scenario yet.

Interestingly, this has not always worked.  We have one set of users that still had problems with OneClick running in 32 bit mode even with these settings.  For them, we had to create a little batch file that would directly run java webstart in 64 bit mode (c:\Program Files\java -> 64bit files,  c:\Program Files (x86)\java -> 32bit files).  Then they were able to run much better than before.

Nice advantage with 64bit mode is that we can take the max heap size even higher.  Joe, as you know we have been setting this to 1530, and that has greatly helped.  For those that are running 64bit, I have taken it up to 2048 and OneClick is screaming for us now.

So it comes down to making sure you are actually running java in 64bit mode.