Clarity

• 1.  [Q] How does Average Allocation % get populated for a Role

Posted Dec 16, 2015 01:15 PM

I am feeling like a complete dunce... I need to understand how the average allocation % get populated for a Role.

I have added a role to my team in Idea. A expense role. When i went to look at the role properties on the team, i now see that the allocation is at 5,000.00%. I need to understand why. I didn't add that segment nor anything set on the role properties when i created the role.

faci role.PNG

Thank you,

Keri

• 2.  Re: [Q] How does Average Allocation % get populated for a Role

Posted Dec 29, 2015 12:21 AM

Hi,

I would assume that the role is soft booked to a task and has hours on that task.

• 3.  Re: [Q] How does Average Allocation % get populated for a Role
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 30, 2015 05:49 AM

Clarity: How is the Resource Average Allocation Percentage Attribute Calculated?

Document ID:  TEC513176
    Last Modified Date:  2/5/2013

Description:

How is the Average Allocation Percentage field calculated?

The attribute appears on the Resource > Allocations : Summary page with a column header named 'Average Allocation Percent' when added to portlet layout configuration.

The values are not the same as the '% Allocation' (Attribute = Default Allocation) attribute.

Steps to configure portlet layout:

1. Login to Clarity as a user with access to see Resource profiles.

2. From Main Application, Navigate to Resource Management: Resources.

3. Select a Resource from the listing.

4. Navigate to the Resource > Allocations Tab: Summary portlet.

5. The end-user will see the Summary Resource/Role Allocation portlet page.

6. Select 'Configure' from the [--Actions--] pull-down menu.

7. Select 'Average Allocation Percent' attribute to add to the layout of the portlet configuration
      Portlet Name = Resource Allocations
      System Provider = Team Allocations

8. Save configuration and return to portlet.

Solution:

The Average Allocation Percent (avg_allocpct) is none-editable, computed, virtual attribute. It is not a stored value that can be directly accessed in a table. It is only available for grids using the 'Team Allocations' system-data provider. It is the average percent over the effective duration of the allocation. It matches the 'Default Allocation %' if there are no exception allocation segments defined. Therefore, it is the average of all the allocation segment percentages for each investment in the Resource Project Allocation portlet. To change allocation segments, click on the 'properties' icon for one of the rows within this portlet.

Link to the article: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec513176.aspx

NJ

• 4.  Re: [Q] How does Average Allocation % get populated for a Role

Posted Dec 30, 2015 05:52 AM

Also, see this:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-2/release-information/release-notes-on-premise

Resource Average Allocation Percentage

The business logic behind the calculation of the default resource allocation percentage has been improved. The application uses the start and finish dates for the team member instead of the investment to calculate the average allocation percentage and total availability hours.

Note: This change can affect your custom metrics and other calculations.

To illustrate the enhancements, create a project with a six-week duration from August 5 to September 13 and staff it with a team of three resources.

1. On the Team list for the first resource, change the finish date to August 17 (two weeks, 80 hours) and the Default Allocation to 50 percent. The allocation is 40/80 or 50 percent as expected.
    2. For the second resource, change the finish date to August 17 (two weeks, 80 hours) and the Default Allocation to 50 percent. Add a segment from August 18 to 30 (two weeks, 80 hours) at an allocation of 100 percent.
      • Before this release, the application calculated allocation of 120 (40 + 80) and suggested an average allocation percentage for a resource that spans the complete project duration. In other words, the allocation percentage would apply 50 percent to 240, the total hours in the duration of the project (6 weeks x 40 hours = 240).
      • Starting with this release, the application calculates the allocation of 120 hours but yields a more accurate average allocation of 75 percent. The duration is just four weeks for the resource, not six. Their 120 hours divided by 160 total hours results in an average allocation of 75 percent.
    3. For the third resource, change the finish date to August 17 (two weeks, 80 hours) and the Default Allocation to 50 percent. Adjust this segment by specifying an allocation of 100 percent from August 5 to 17.
      • Before this release, the application would calculate an allocation of 40 hours for the two weeks, but an average allocation of 16.7 percent (40/240).
      • New in this release, the application calculates the same allocation of 40 hours but yields an average allocation of 50 percent (40/80).

NJ