CA Service Management

• 1.  Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.

Posted Dec 22, 2015 10:08 AM
      |   view attached

Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.

KD Number Sequence Issue IE11.jpg

The installation is R12.9 CP1 on a windows Server 2012 R2

• 2.  Re: Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.

Posted Jan 03, 2016 11:43 PM

Hello ashutosh2015 ,

How did you create the fancy schmancy "bullet list INSIDE a numbered list"?

Looking at Knowledge Documents "Edit Resolution" field there is only a "bullet list" OR a "numbered list" choice available that I can see.

Knowledge bullet list.png

So I suspect that you've used "Source" and done something that the Editor normally would not be able to do. Then IE throws a wobbly (technical term) when it encounters it.

Maybe have a look at a Source and see if you can get the code for that section rendered successfully on a different web page, as a suggestion.

Or just stick with the one list.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

#helpinghands

• 3.  Re: Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 04, 2016 01:48 PM

The built-in HTML editor in 12.9 can't easily create nested lists. You can still create them either by selecting Source and editing the HTML or by simply using a different editor. If you edit the source just make sure your tags are in the right order. If you are not familiar with HTML there are several good WYSIWYG editors that will produce clean HTML that you can just cut/paste into the Resolution section of your Knowledge Document. I recommend avoiding Microsoft products, such as Word since they create "ugly" HTML.

I created the following list by editing the source and it displays as expected in Chrome, IE10 and IE11.

Lists.jpg

Here is the source:

<p>List Example</p><br><br><ol><li>Item #1</li><li>Item #2</li><ul><li>Item 2.1</li><li>Item 2.2</li></ul><li>Item #3</li></ol><br>

• 4.  Re: Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.

Posted Jan 04, 2016 07:13 PM

Hello ashutosh2015 ,

Does this work out for you?

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 5.  Re: Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.

Posted Jan 08, 2016 01:37 AM

Thank you jmascaro and Kyle_R for your responses. I believe its likely an issue with dirty html code as pointed by jmascaro.

Although I still am inquisitive to know and learn how Chrome handles the same code better than IE 11.

Regards,

Ashutosh

• 6.  Re: Ordered List in CASDM Knowledge document does not show in proper sequence in IE11. Works in Chrome.

Posted Jan 11, 2016 10:20 PM

Thanks

With my Mod. hat on, I'm flagging jmascaro's post as the "Correct Answer" from the CA SDM side.

The question on why Chrome works better than IE in this instance is something more for Microsoft IE channel (Or Chrome as appropriate). If you wanted to, have a look at something like Fiddler or the IE/Chrome script debuggers against the page and see what the difference is. As jmascaro has demonstrated, some custom code will work fine across browsers.

Thanks, Kyle_R.