Clarity

• 1.  Access rights to Status report

Posted Jan 05, 2016 01:36 PM

Just wondering again...

Looking at the subobject rights and the consistency in them eg Task

The Global rights where the description includes the word Task are

While the OBS rights are

Note that there is no rights called Task Create or Edit Task. Further there is no navigation rights

as there is no system wide Task list view  the Task list being a page in the project layout.

The View Tasks rights includes condition to the master object

Allows user to view tasks for a project. This right is dependent on Project - View Base being granted.

That is fine and users eventually learn that even if they did not start with PMW, but jumped on in Niku or Clarity.

Status report is also a suboject of the project object and it comes with the CA provided PMO add in.

The Global access rights are

Note that firstly there is no mention of the master object project and secondly those rights include page navigation.

So those rights are not limited to the project which the user has access

Status report list is also a page in the project layout and there is no system wide Status Report page

(unless I have missed that) which gives a limit. That is unless you have Status Report portlets which by pass that.

The OBS rights to Status Reports are

Now these are clearly limited to the subojects within a specific Project master object and thus restricted

to the projects to which the user has rights.

Are the Global Status Report access rights working as designed or is there a mishap in the naming and functionality?

asks "Burned once"

• 2.  Re: Access rights to Status report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 06:52 PM

Yes, the Global Status Report access rights are working as designed. What is needed though is a clear business rule about who you want to be able to Create, Edit, and View status reports in your environment. Then you will be able to setup the security correctly to support that business rule.

What is your business rule?

• 3.  Re: Access rights to Status report

Posted Mar 07, 2016 08:04 AM

Hi Urmas,

I suppose this is just the difference in the naming functionality. The action stays the same i.e. the Global Access Rights to Status Report will enable the user to View/Edit the Status Reports for all the Projects or for Projects that he or she has been allocated to (Status Report is still a sub-object and a sub-page within the Project object). Whereas the OBS Access Rights to Status Report will enable the users belonging to a particular OBS to View/Edit the Status Reports for all the Projects belonging to the specific OBS that the user is assigned to. I reckon that Project View/Edit Access Rights are required to View/Edit the Status Report sub-page, if I am not mistaken. There could also be a Status Report custom master object as I suppose I've seen this previously on the CA Clarity PPM, and this may be differentiated into Instance and OBS Access Rights. The names for the Instance, Global and OBS related Access Rights may have been created just to distinguish them from each other.

Suhail.

• 4.  Re: Access rights to Status report

Posted Mar 21, 2016 06:48 PM

Hi Martti - Were you able to get this one straightened out? Regards, Chris

• 5.  Re: Access rights to Status report
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2016 02:45 AM

Sort of, thanks for asking.

However, the approach is different which does not make it easier for the users or admins.

On the other hand tasks and status reports function in a different manner so there are some grounds for that.

My conclusion is that it may be very well as designed and require rules for usage and rights assignment, but there is there an inconsistency in the naming and functionality