IT Process Automation

• 1.  CA Process Automation "Premature End of File" Error

Posted Jan 21, 2016 02:50 PM

I'm making a SOAP call to CA Service Desk Manager to add a series of workflow tasks to a Change Order.  However, after adding the first one it is throwing an error "Premature End of File" and blocking the process.  I'm not sure what this error is being caused from.  Any assistance would be great.

<impl:createWorkFlowTask xmlns:impl="http://www.ca.com/UnicenterServicePlus/ServiceDesk">
      <sid>sid__</sid>
      <attrVals>
    <string>sequence</string>
    <string>sequence__</string>
    <string>description</string>
    <string>description__</string>
    <string>group</string>
    <string>group__</string>
    <string>assignee</string>
    <string>assignee__</string>
    <string>group_task</string>
    <string>group_task__</string>
      </attrVals>
      <objectHandle>objectHandle__</objectHandle>
      <creatorHandle>creatorHandle__</creatorHandle>
      <selectedWorkFlow>selectedWorkFlow__</selectedWorkFlow>
      <taskType>taskType__</taskType>
      <attributes>
    <string>string__</string>
      </attributes>
      <createWorkFlowTaskResult>createWorkFlowTaskResult__</createWorkFlowTaskResult>
      <newHandle>newHandle__</newHandle>
    </impl:createWorkFlowTask>

• 2.  Re: CA Process Automation "Premature End of File" Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 01:31 PM

It seems like an issue processing the response from the soap call.  I would recommend pulling the soap call data out of the process instance and submitting that same call via a utility outside of PAM (like soapu).  If the same error occurs, it has something to do with the response you are getting from the soap call.  Could be the format of the call or could be an issue with the response.

• 3.  Re: CA Process Automation "Premature End of File" Error

Posted Jan 27, 2016 01:55 PM

Have you checked the amount of data that is being returned from the SOAP call?

I have had cases where the amount of data being returned was over the upper limit for the CAPA Web Services and was just truncated by the CAPA SOAP call.

I believe the default OOTB maximum result length was 1,048,576 bytes, (after opening a case for this issue) I ended up increasing my limit to the maximum suggested value of 4,194,304 bytes.

In the few cases where even that isn't enough, I am using a PowerShell script to call the WebService and parse the results to something more manageable for me (or parsing them right to an SQL table).

The maximum result length can be found on the Configuration tab under Modules / Web Services - SOAP Module

Hope this helps!

Ian

• 4.  Re: CA Process Automation "Premature End of File" Error
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 27, 2016 03:24 PM

It actually turns out that this issue was caused by a value of "&" being passed into the Description field of the Task PAM was creating through SOAP.  SOAP really doesn't like this character and after we escaped it by replacing "&" with "&amp;" SOAP was happy again.  Thank you for the assistance on this one.

Kenneth Hosey

• 5.  Re: CA Process Automation "Premature End of File" Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 10:36 AM

If Pam is manipulating special characters, either in javascript operators, or in pre / post execution the character will be taken as code and will cause different problems, from the character being dropped, to code not executing correctly.

Here is a knowledge document discussing using special characters in Process Automation.