Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Encrypting a string in API Gateway?

Posted Jan 27, 2016 02:50 PM

Hi,

There is a requirement to encrypt a string which I receive as a value of a named query parameter and pass it to another system (along with many other fields). This encryption is to be done by a public key provided to us so that receiving system will decrypt the string with their private key. What I have is a public key and not a certificate (which could have been imported into the trust store).

Is there a way I can get the public key to be imported into the trust store? Or is there a way I can fulfil the requirements on API Gateway without having to go back to them with alternatives.

Many thanks! 

Regards,

Trinath

• 2.  Re: Encrypting a string in API Gateway?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 26, 2016 01:10 AM

Trinath,

We have several options available to meet the requirements that you outlined:

1) Existing assertions to provide encrypted credentials - JWT, JWE, or JWS, and for encrypted message bodies - JWE. Additional information can be found in our online documentation under the section "Encode JSON Web Token Assertion".

2) A tactical assertion called Asymmetric Key Encryption/Decryption Assertion, which will take a string provided and use a public key loaded into the Manage Certificate to encrypted. Need to request this assertion through CA Support.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 3.  Re: Encrypting a string in API Gateway?

Posted Aug 28, 2016 11:23 PM

Hi Stephen,

It indeed appears as a correct answer. Bullet number is what I am after. I will raise a case and try to look at that assertion. Hopefully that will resolve my long standing problem.

Thanks...

Regards,

Trinath

• 4.  Re: Encrypting a string in API Gateway?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 11:22 AM

Hello,

Did this method work? Having a similar requirement but unable to use the asymmetric encryption assertion because the public key is not a certificate and can't be imported to the gateway's manage certificates.

• 5.  Re: Encrypting a string in API Gateway?

Posted Apr 27, 2018 06:21 AM

Hi,

Even we are having a similar requirement where the 3rd party have provided their public key instead of a certificate.

Not able to solve this one using CA API Gateway and we are stuck in our integration process.

• 6.  Re: Encrypting a string in API Gateway?

Posted Jul 02, 2018 10:30 PM

Hi Stephen,

Am using ssg9.3 after a search i could not find any occurrences of jwt besides that OTK one? Pls advice, do we need to install a JWT/JWE/JWS assertion module for it?

• 7.  RE: Re: Encrypting a string in API Gateway?

Posted Jan 11, 2021 07:38 AM
    Hi,

Did this tactical assertion work for any one? we are also having similar requirement and stuck

Regards,
    Saikat