DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Team Center migration from Triage Map

• 1.  Team Center migration from Triage Map

Posted Jan 29, 2016 03:30 PM

Within Triage Map, if you select the "by Frontends" and then one of the applications - health, on the right there is an overview tab with graphs showing the average of all the instances of that application and then a list at the bottom (frontend locations) of all the agents that are reporting for that application.

Is there a way to have Team Center provide the "frontend locations" like the triage map did?

We have not applied the hot fix for the team center issue in 10.0 and are reviewing 10.1.

Thanks,

Billy

• 2.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 03, 2016 08:55 AM

Hi Billy:

I have tried to get someone to answer this without success. Opening a case may get you some answers

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Posted Feb 03, 2016 09:18 AM
    Case Number & Title:  00302317: Triage Map to Team Center
    Description & Error Message: Dear Sir or Madam,  We just recently upgraded our 9.6 APM to
    10.0 and my end users had a question that I was unable to find an answer to. 
    In 9.6 Triage map <screen shot 1> if you selected a frontend health,
    on the right displays the average across all instances of that frontend and below a
    Frontend Locations list with current metric values. This has been rather useful in
    location of load balance issues.  In 10.0, Triage Map is only accessible via Introscope
    Workstation and not WebView. 

1.  Within Team Center is there a way to display all of the agents that are reporting a
    specific application? 

2.  Is there a way to customize team center to present averages across all instances of
    an application? 

3.  Is there a way to link a dashboard that does have averages for an
    application into team center so that when someone clicks on an application node the
    related dashboard is presented? 

Thank you in advance, Billy

• 4.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 03, 2016 09:53 AM

Hi Billy:

I see this is a new case and I will track its progress

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Posted Feb 03, 2016 02:11 PM

Hey Billy,

What about creating a perspective grouping by type, then app and then location/hostname? Or type, location and then app?

If you have enought data, you'll see Frontends / Backends at the first level, then ungrouping each box, you will see App, and then un grouping each App you'll see locations/hostnames.

Regards,

Roger

• 6.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 03, 2016 02:21 PM

Hi,

I was going to write the same as rogelio.dipasquale.

As for the dashboard link: you can create an attribute on any node and just insert the link as value.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 7.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Posted Feb 05, 2016 10:17 AM

Thank you Guenter for your suggestion.

Would team center react to the attribute -> link and open it within the same browser tab or within a new browser tab?

Could I use a WebView URL to the console/dashboard and when clicked on within Team Center, a new web view tab would appear displaying the custom dashboard?

Guessing there isn't a way to cross link Team Center to the Triage map application display so we would have the application five base metrics averaged across all instances and a list of locations.

Thanks,

Billy

• 8.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 12:15 PM

Hi Billy,

If you put a link as an attribute value ATC will detect that. If you click on the link icon it will open a new tab and focus on that displaying e.g. your custom dashboard.

By default old TriageMap is turned of in ATC so I didn't try linking to that.

If you define a perspective that aggregates by (Frontend) application then you get an aggregated node in ATC and in the right hand panel you will get a display of the aggregated metrics under "Performance overview" in the right hand panel.

In the screenshot below you can see both the dashboard link (on the bottom right) as well as the aggregated metrics for the MathClient application which aggregates 7 nodes. ATC asks if you want to create an attribute rule and if you acknowledge it will create something like 'set dashboard=<link> where applicationName=MathClient':

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 10.56.15 AM.png

And you can drill down into your application node, select a critical node and see its metrics:

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 11.06.43 AM.png

Does that get close to meeting your requirements?

Ciao,

Guenter

• 9.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Posted Feb 05, 2016 02:25 PM

Thank you Guenter,

Your comments are helping try to figure out how to move from where we are, how our end users are currently using APM to hopefully a better location.

With Triage Map, which has taken me more than a year to get a few of my power end users to understand how to triage using Triage Map, now trying to understand how Team Center differs, how to add/subtract elements in order to get to the other side of EPIC.

I'm seeing that Team Center has great flexibility and with the "Propagate to Team Center" on each alert (simple and summary) that we have way more work ahead of us than when we had with Triage Map.  Triage Map automatically had the base five metrics (ART, RPI, CII, EPI, SPI) but now with the shift to using the Management Module defined alerts that have the check box throws the creation, configuration and maintenance of the five base from an automatic to the shoulders of the APM Admin.

While I cheer the EPIC concepts, the more I learn of Team Center's abilities, the less and less I am looking forward to trying to educate my end users in the use of it, much less than trying to configure, adjust and propagate the sparse management module alerts we have.

Thank you,

Billy

• 10.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:17 PM

Hi Billy,

Glad to help! Current ATC is just one small step for APM in the direction of EPIC. Ultimately every manual configuration you have to do is one too many. So we will continue on our path and eliminating manual alerts will be another of those steps along our journey.

Ciao,

Guenter 

• 11.  Re: Team Center migration from Triage Map

Posted Feb 05, 2016 10:13 AM

Thank you Roger for the suggestion.

Adding the attributes and forming additional perspectives would provide a method to navigate to the separate metrics but not provide a summary with averages across all the instances of the application like the Triage Map provides.

We are on version 10.0 with the APM Team Center to EEM issue were we are unable to add/change/create any elements within Team Center.  So it is sort of rough trying out any suggestions.  Hopefully if we can finish up our v10 upgrade and I try to schedule the v10.1 upgrade to our enterprise managers and postresql database and try to leave everything else as v10 in Q2.

Billy