Clarity

• 1.  Collaboration tab access?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 08:16 AM

Good morning,

I have some documents in the collaboration tab area but some team members cannot access them and I cannot add them from the Permissions drop down. How can I grant others access to docs in the Collaboration tool? Is there a way to give blanket access to the area, to everything under the sun?

Thanks!

Bill O'Connell

• 2.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 08:44 AM

Are they collaboration participants in the particular project?

If you cannot give access after documents are there you could try to store them again and when doing that make sure that everybody gets access.. 

• 3.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 08:54 AM

Are the options when you store a file. The permissions appear to allow modify the permissions for the users who already have some permissions, so I should not expect to be able to grant access there afterwards.

• 4.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 09:30 AM

Its a two step thing:

- Grant user (either directly or via Groups) the Global "Project-View Documents (All)" right (or, to limit to a group of projects, can grant right using OBS)

- As Urmas stated, ensure that the "Allow Non-participants to Access Document" box is checked when adding folders/documents to projects

Even with the Project-View Documents right, non-participants may see the Collaboration tab on all projects, but they will only see those folders/documents where the "Allow Non-participants to Access Document" box is checked - if none are checked on a project, they non-participant user will see the tab, but the doc manager page will be blank.

I can't say that we've found any value to this checkbox - seems that it causes more grief than utility.  If there is a use case for it, other than theoretical, would like to hear if anyone is making use of it.  Maybe I'm missing something in my thinking...

Dale

• 5.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Jul 11, 2018 08:07 AM

Hi Dale,

I can't find that global right in the system. I can see it is few years ago you posted this, so do you know if it has been removed since or are there any prerequisites for the access right to appear.

I can however find the access right as an instance right, but i need members of a specific access group to be able to see all documents on all projects and everyone else should only be able to see documents on the projects where they are participants.

/Lennart

• 6.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Jul 11, 2018 08:54 AM

Hi Lennart,

It's been a couple years and a number of upgrades since then - I don't recall if something changed, but the capability is still there:  Not via Global but by OBS.

Here's what we have in our system, today:  We made our OBS fields required, so that if one assigns the OBS Right\Project - View Documents right to a Group and picks 'units and descendants' from top branch of OBS, then one, in essence, has granted a Global right to the Group, since all projects must be attached to the OBS.

Hope this is helpful,

Dale

• 7.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Jul 11, 2018 09:24 AM

thanks Dale. We have not implemented OBS rights. I was looking for the right as "real" global right.

• 8.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Jul 11, 2018 10:50 AM

Ok – can imagine some reasons for not implementing OBS.

However as this View Docs right doesn’t exist as Global, you will have to implement OBS version.  So, can one do this simply, so that zero burden is placed on your users, PMO admins?

Yes.

Create one OBS, with one branch.  Make this OBS required and set default to this one branch.  This way, every project created will be put on this one ‘global’ branch by default – no work required by anyone.  For existing projects, you’ll need to select this ‘global’ branch and save change (use project list view, with OBS field as column in view, set to ‘allow editing’) – unless you have capability to XOG out, make changes and XOG back in.

Then, in your groups, via OBS rights, grant “Project – View Docs” over this one ‘global’ default branch.

Done.

BTW – if you are using the check in/out, history and versions features in Classic UX doc manager, note that these features are not available in the New UX.  Classic UX will be around for a while, but CA has no plans for including check in/out, history, version in the New UX.  I tried getting these features moved to New UX, but could not get enough votes from other customers to make this happen.  If we can’t get this to happen, expect we will be moving our doc management to SharePoint, which will disappoint most of our users.

Dale

• 9.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Posted Jul 11, 2018 04:39 PM

The instance right

Project - View Documents    Allows user to view documents or folders even if user is not a project participant, as long as the documents or folders are marked open to non-participants. This right includes the Project - View Base right.

is for non participants and non collaboration managers.

Therefore in 15.4 Participants and and Collaboration managers should have view access even without it.

members of a specific access group to be able to see all documents on all projects is going to be pain pain to implement in the current access rights system.

Either you would have to give the group instance (or OBS) right to every single project or make the group participant in every project.

Using the OBS might be the least pain, but is the down side too big?

• 10.  Re: Collaboration tab access?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 12:30 PM