DX NetOps

• 1.  Spectrum integration with Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 or 3.0

Posted Feb 09, 2016 05:05 PM

Has anyone successfully completed an integration of Cisco Prime Infrastructure(CPI) with Spectrum?  We are running Spectrum 10.1 and CPI3.0 and want to integrate the 2 together.  The standard integration for CiscoWorks will not work because CA appends some funky parts the URL, even if I put the exact PI URL to get to a device, it appends some parms, nullifying the request(Not to mention CiscoWorks has be DAB for years).  I checked the XML integration file and nothing of any importance jumped out at me.  Moving on, We can easily add a option on the tools to open a PI URL with the IP appended to the end and get that to work.  The issue comes with the Alerts being sent from CPI to Spectrum.  I could integrate via SBG, which would be the oblivious choice, and am looking for a leg up in this area.  Does anyone have, and willing to share, the AlertMap, EventDisp and possibly the Probable Cause file for such integration?  I am not sure what the delay from CA is on CPI integration, other than the fact that the product has changed dramatically in the past 4 years, but I honestly feel like I am not the only customer in this predicament.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2.  Re: Spectrum integration with Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 or 3.0

Posted Feb 10, 2016 09:39 AM

I'm not able to share the actual AlertMap/EventDisp we came up with, but I can offer up that we were able to successfully handle Cisco Prime SNMP Traps using the Southbound Gateway.  When first learning how to best use the SBGW, I found it helpful to review and replicate the work CA did to handle the eHealth SNMP Traps.  It will generally follow these basic principles:

• Map the trap(s), and in the AlertMap configure the varbind(s) for SBGW and the one you want to use as the model lookup/identifier, ie: IP Address
    • Optional: Use a event procedure to construct a dynamic alarm title from the varbind(s)
    • Use event conditions to create new Events based on Severity
    • Optional: If applicable, set the "clear" Event to auto-clear the minor,major,critical events

I would also suggest that within Cisco Prime itself, you set up the Northbound Trap configuration to only forward certain severity levels, and then to go through and lessen the severity of Cisco Prime events you're not interested in seeing in Spectrum though still want to be logged in Cisco Prime.

• 3.  Re: Spectrum integration with Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 or 3.0

Posted Mar 30, 2017 05:52 AM

There is no integration with Cisco Prime Infrastructure directly.

However, you can use Southbound Gateway to forward traps from CPI to Spectrum. See the Southbound Gateway guide for more details.

• 4.  RE: Spectrum integration with Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 or 3.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2020 11:11 AM
    Just FYI for anyone who lands here - there is an ER request to add Cisco Prime native support for Spectrum - please add your comments: 

https://community.broadcom.com/participate/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=adaeaaea-5335-484b-8933-8a968ff0413a

------------------------------
    Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------