Clarity

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (February 2016)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (February 2016)

Posted Feb 12, 2016 12:24 PM

Miss the February PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in March for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

HI Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes!

Ok - We're ready for questions! Fire away!

from Lynn to Everyone:

If I want to filter on OBS and units and descendants in a Jaspersoft Ad Hoc report, what is the best filter option (which fields do I use)? I have tried several options that work , but they are either labor intensive or I don't have confidence the pull exactly what I want. Clarity 14.2  -- thanks

from Christie to Everyone:

We are starting to use allocations in Clarity.  It appears you can only report on 6 months future allocations by default and we'd need to modify the standard monthly resource allocations time slice to see more than 6 months.  Are there concerns with modifying the standard time slices?  Thanks.

@Lynn - Nika is researching on a slow pc at the moment but will respond shortly.

from Srini to Everyone:

Hello

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Christie.. from when we did it.. be prepared for the iniitial extended time it will take to complete the TS job (after you change it) and then monthly rollovers will take longer  -- so after you change them, try to kick off the TS job during off hours and monitor and sometimes the TS job can stick  --

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Christie: The Team Allocations TSV uses an internal, insta-slice and it is not configurable from the UI.  We have a pre-approved time slice extension TECDOC that you can use Document ID:  TEC439086 : Error Received: [The time periods requested do not exist. Review the column's Time Scale settings.] after changing timescaled view configurations

from Srini to Everyone:

question about an error we are receiving trying to delete 2 idea investment instances

@Christie :  Vote for this Community Idea: Allow Administrative Control over Time Slice Date Ranges in OOTB System Data Providers

from Srini to Everyone:

enabled xql2 and njs errors in log file

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Christie.. I assumed you meant the Resource allocations slices.. sorry

@Lynn, thanks for the FYI

02/11/2016    10:09:01 AM    from Gauri to Everyone:

Just from my experience few organizations have visibility beyond six months for planning monthly allocation, they usually do monthly for six months and then quarterly beyond that.

@Christie: TECDOC Link : http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec439086.aspx 

@Christie: Idea Link:  http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec439086.aspx

from Srini to Everyone:

getting the following crypic messages: WARN  2016-02-11 10:05:05,944 [Dispatch pool-5-thread-2 : bg@clarityuat03.gene.com (tenant=clarity)] niku.xql2 (clarity:svenkat:27634469__98AFDBF0-4CAF-4FC7-9000-F00E79586E82:Delete Investments) Failed to delete records from query referenced in select deleteODF :<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deleteService type="java" componentId="odf" description="com.niku.odf.service.object.CustomObjectDeleteService" transaction="dbTransaction" xmlns="http://schemas.niku.com/2002/objectTypes"/>

Caused by: id: odf.objectIllegalDelete location:  type: error value: 

ERROR 2016-02-11 10:05:05,944 [Dispatch pool-5-thread-2 : bg@clarityuat03.gene.com (tenant=clarity)] xql2.xbl (clarity:svenkat:27634469__98AFDBF0-4CAF-4FC7-9000-F00E79586E82:Delete Investments) Error while attempting to delete 10006 (5122206)

02/11/2016    10:10:04 AM    from Srini to Everyone:

ERROR 2016-02-11 10:05:05,944 [Dispatch pool-5-thread-2 : bg@clarityuat03.gene.com (tenant=clarity)] xql2.xbl (clarity:svenkat:27634469__98AFDBF0-4CAF-4FC7-9000-F00E79586E82:Delete Investments) com.niku.union.odf.exception.ODFServiceException: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deleteService type="java" componentId="odf" description="com.niku.odf.service.object.CustomObjectDeleteService" transaction="dbTransaction" xmlns="http://schemas.niku.com/2002/objectTypes"/>

Caused by: id: odf.objectIllegalDelete location:  type: error value: 

from Srini to Everyone:

sorry ... ugly

from Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:

@srini: have we recently discussed this in a community thread? it looks similar to me

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Christie, I would agree about the 6 months.. we went from a deafult of almost nothing to 6 months,, I should have clarified that, but I was speaking in general terms of extending allocation slices.. again, apologize if that caused confusion

from Srini to Everyone:

not me ...

from Srini to Everyone:

please send me a link if you can find it

@Srini: i searched in TECDOCS and Found the following --- TEC534931 or TEC510859   

from Lynn to Everyone:

While Nika is looking into my Jaspersof question, I have another one.  , in Ad Hoc, can we change the Labels of the OOTB measures? Example: Under the Resource Domain Availability to Allcation%/(Average).. I would like that reflect "% Available" when I publish it as a report, I don't have any format options (this is a cross tab). Again, Clarity 14.2, thus Jaspersoft Studio 5.6.1-- thanks again

@srini: absolutely, this thread is where I was helping with this error: https://communities.ca.com/thread/241747208

from Srini to Everyone:

Thanks Nick .... checking

@Kathryn - I do mean the " MONTHLYRESOURCEALLOCCURVE" slice.  Specifically the thing I'm trying to solve is that the standard allocation reports (like Over/Under Allocation by Resource) only show data for 6 months and then show 0 for remaining months, even though we have allocated our teams for 6+ months.

@Christie: This slice is available to be modified in the UI and it is okay to have it go out into the future keeping in mind your overall Time Slice configurations and the amount of data the slicing needs to process.  These are the general guidelines which are documented in TECDOCS and DocOps product guides

@Gauri & Lynn - I agree, trying to plan past 6 months is probably not the best idea, but our management thinks they can do it!

@Kathryn, thanks, I'll check the docs.

@srini: Connie also found this tecdoc which relates to my communities thread and may give you more details: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec511237.aspx

from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone:

@Lynn : we don't seem to be having any recommendations or best practice about this. For the OOTB reports, the OBS unit is used, and for this we can check the query and see the exact OBS that will be returned. Which option have you tried so far?

from Junaed to Everyone:

HI All, @CA Host. I'm a new user of Clarity. Before signing up for trainings, which reading materials should I focus on?

from Junaed to Everyone:

Goal is to manage/plan capacity, from portfolio manager's perspective

from John W. George (CA Technologies) to Everyone:

@Junaed, there are many resources available to you. Please start here in the documentation:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-3/getting-started

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika.. I have OBS Path "contains" with OBS Type = to the resource/project OBS type..  the only other option I have tried is the OBS is ONE OF.. but then you have to select them all, which is not feasible.  filtering by OBS and its unit and descendants will be the most common filter for any reporting

from Junaed to Everyone:

@John. Thanks

@Junaed, also check out all of the available resources here which will help you:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-3/connect-and-learn

@Junaed - you're welcome!

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika. I have tried variations of the above, but that is the closest, but again not 100% accurate

from Sarmistha (CA) Purkayastha to Everyone:

@Junaid, here's a quick read on how to get started with portfolio manage, a link to a Flipboard article: http://cookbooks.ca.com/cacppm/2016/02/09/getting-started-with-portfolio-management/

from Gauri to Everyone:

Many users seem unhappy about the 25 Role limit in the portfolio Targets for Capacity planning any idea if that may change in upcoming releases?

from Sarmistha (CA) Purkayastha to Everyone:

sorry portfolio management

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, I looked at an OOTB report, but it is chosing the type (like me) and then the OBS unit, but for me, when I choose Unit, it does not pick up the descendants

from Junaed to Everyone:

Thanks @ Sarmistha. Will have a look...

from Srini to Everyone:

Thanks Nick. It worked!

@Lynn : Thanks for clarifying. This sounds like an issue. Do you mind to provide me your email address so I verify this for you? Or if you prefer, raise a Support case and let me know the issue number.

from Srini to Everyone:

followup question ... we deleted all idea instances. Now trying to delete all custom attributes to initialize the object. Getting error: ERRORThe selected attributes can't be deleted as they are being used. The error conditions are marked below.

@Gauri: The 25 Role limitation is for adding targets on the portfolio is not going to change at this time.  I do not see any idea posted in the communities for this yet, you may log one

@Gauri: I am curious to know why they want to analyze more than 25 roles on a portfolio?

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, I will keep trying .. several of the OOTB seems to use the same format, so I don't know why it does not work for me-- sure I can open a case

from Gauri to Everyone:

Well they want to see all the roles from the investments within their portfolio. Alternatively some connection to the portfolio plan in the OTB Capacity planning portlet.

@srini: glad the delete investments worked now, were there items listed that indicated where the attributes you want to delete are being referenced?  E.g. they could be included in calculated attributes, or referenced in conditions on processes, or various other places in the application

@Lynn : Concerning the Measure Labels : you should normally be able to right click in on the column in the Ad Hoc View Editor and select Edit Label. Does this work for you?

from Srini to Everyone:

@Nick ... no calc attributes. Processes - possible. Will check

@Gauri: thank you. How many roles does your company use?

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, no that is why I was asking the way everything is always demonstrated does not work-- I am an admin, with full rights/all roles, etc

@srini: virtual attributes (i.e. a subobject that is referencing a parent's attribute) may also cause this, and also attribute mappings - there are quite a few places, I probably couldn't recall them all from memory

from Srini to Everyone:

@Nick - no virtual attribs either

from Srini to Everyone:

I'm assuming gel script or nsql wouldn't matter

from Srini to Everyone:

Already removed all audit trail

@srini: custom portlets based on this object's data provider that include the attribute in the views/filters..

from Lynn to Everyone:

@nika, I wondered if it was because it is a cross tab? I think there is virtually no formatting for a crosstab in this version..   I think that only works for tables

from Srini to Everyone:

ok. Thanks ... will check

from Gauri to Everyone:

@Kathryn - This is not just one Company but multiple implementations i have worked on. They have definitely more than 25 roles in their organizations. its usually the ones where they use CAPPM across the organization and not just for IT project management.

@Gauri: thank you. Maybe I need to understand more about how the customer wants to analyze the Role capacity and demand from a portfolio perspective. Typically portfolios use targeted analysis. 

from Connie Fu (CA) to Everyone:

@Gauri it would be good to describe a use case where a portfolio cannot be broken down to multiple portfolio so that the combined number of roles from the portfolio investments are more than 25. And why this cannot be accomplished via a role capacity report using an OBS parameter. etc

from Gauri to Everyone:

@Kathryn - http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1919875.aspx There used to be a limit on investments as well as roles. The limit on the investments was eventually removed. Just wondering if the limit on the roles is planned to be removed in any releases in the near future?

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, I see if I drill down on the measures in the Ad Hoc Editor (i.e. hours in the TSV) , it lets me edit the label, but that doesn't reflect on the column name itself (Very weird) -- it pops up a new ad hoc editor as if I want to save a new view, which I don't of course  

from Gauri to Everyone:

Alternatively is there any plans to expand the "child Portfolio" functionality to enable rollups etc.

@Lynn : Yes, this would be the reason, there is no such option in Crosstab as far as I can see.

@Gauri: At this time, the Product Management team has not expressed any plans for such changes. I suggest that you start an idea in the communities and get it going

from Gauri to Everyone:

Kathryn - Sure thanks

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, that is what I thought.. odd that it lets you do in on the drill down and save that one field as a new view (as a  table) , but yet you can't use it -  anywhere . Thanks anyway

We're getting ready to wrap up for today. Any last questions?

@Lynn : No worries, I'll check if there is an enhancement on this and will let you know the status.

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, thanks

OK that's it for today. Thank you everyone for participating and please join us back here in March!

Thanks again everyone!