Service Virtualization

• 1.  how to send multiple responses to single request?

Posted Feb 21, 2016 07:07 AM

Hello,

My requirement is to send multiple responses to single request.There would be several operations/transactions in  VSI/service image and for each transaction i had to send multiple responses (3 responses). I am using JMS transport protocol. I have created vsm and vsi using req-resp pairs. Could you all please tell how this is possible?

Thanks in advance,

• 2.  Re: how to send multiple responses to single request?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 21, 2016 03:34 PM

You can have multiple response files for each request.  The files follow the pattern <op>-req.xml and <op>-rsp<number>.xml

This is covered in the DevTest 9.0 manual on page 733

Import Request/Response Pairs

A request/response pair consists of one request file and one or more response files.

When you import a request/response pair, the request is processed against the virtual service.

If the virtual service contains a signature with the same arguments, a specific transaction is added to

the signature.

If the virtual service does not contain a signature with the same arguments, a signature is added. The

details of the request and response are added as a specific transaction in the signature. A default

transaction is also added.

The request/response pair must be in text or XML format.

The following list contains an example of the file names in a request/response pair:

• depositMoney-req.xml
    • depositMoney-rsp1.xml
    • depositMoney-rsp2.xml
    • depositMoney-rsp3.xml

The request file name must include a prefix followed by the string -req.

The response file name must include the same prefix followed by the string -rsp. As the preceding

example shows, you can provide multiple response files by adding a number after the string -rsp.

Multiple response files are applicable to messaging scenarios.

• 3.  Re: how to send multiple responses to single request?

Posted Feb 21, 2016 03:43 PM

I have created the req and resp files in the same pattern , but how my vsi will know give 3 responses within delays ...as there are no. of operations and each operation, transaction has 3 responses ....Do I need to make any changes or include any steps in vsi to return multiple responses after some delays ?? I am using JMS protocol

• 4.  Re: how to send multiple responses to single request?

Posted Feb 21, 2016 03:52 PM

Once the VSI has been created you should be able to adjust the "Think time spec" to to produce the delay you need.

• 5.  Re: how to send multiple responses to single request?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 01:00 PM

Hi Jason,

I have created vsi/vsm using JMS transport protocol and request-response pairs(1 req and 3 resp files). so in my vsi I am having 1 META and 1 specific transaction. and in specific transaction I can see 3 responses not the one as you showed above separately and even if i use same transaction then i cant add different delays ... do i need add different specific transaction i.e for each response ? And when i try to hit the service using above settings it displays error ?

Please suggest !

Thanks

• 6.  Re: how to send multiple responses to single request?

Posted Feb 28, 2016 04:27 PM

Hi,

Sorry it may have been a bit confusing.  The images I included are multiple responses from the same specific transaction.  You don't need "duplicate specific transactions" - This would give you 1 response for each request, with the response being one select from the list of duplicate transactions you have defined.

You can view/add/reorder multiple responses for a specific transaction using the buttons on the response tab.  I know it's not very well documented in the manual.

Clicking on the "play" button moves on to the next response...

Clicking on the "plus" button adds a new response...

Note: each response has it's own think time. I believe the think time is the time the VSE waits from the previous response (or the request coming in - for the first response) - but you may need the play around with this to confirm this and get the right values for your solution.

Let me know how this goes.