CA Service Management

• 1.  Geographically located application servers

Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:08 PM

Hi community!

I am researching whether or not geographically located application servers would be a worthwhile investment in my organization.

Currently we have service desk 14.1.02 implementated in advanced availability configuration with all servers located in one facility. We have 1 background, 1 standby and 5 application servers.

We have users all over the world and those furthest away from our servers can see upwards of 5 second delays during creation of new records. Record lists seem to return in half that time.

This leads me to believe that geographically located application servers may be a good idea for our environment.

I was wondering if anyone here has implemented geographic app servers and how much that improved user experience?
    Also is there a point where adding more application servers could slow down the service as a whole?

I appreciate any advice, thanks!

• 2.  Re: Geographically located application servers

Posted Feb 25, 2016 03:07 AM

I did in the past for a client in Australia with a poor connection back to an EMEA data center where SDM was hosted and that was helping up to improve user expereince.

However either if a geographically located application servers can definitively help either more since application servers are now running more backgroung process now compare to old release, the connection to the database can still be a bottleneck and therefore I will recommend you look at the eventual source of your problem meaning your network latency there and see if you can improve that part too.

Hope this help.

/J

• 3.  Re: Geographically located application servers

Posted Feb 25, 2016 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply jmayer!  The more I look in geographic app servers the better the idea seems..  I asked a few users to capture response time statistics and some of them report 10+ seconds for form data to load.  We can't do much to fix the latency between sites, however adding an app server in their region should help this.