Clarity

• 1.  Friday Tip: admin general upload-config?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 01:03 PM

Hi SumanPramanik. In this thread you mention that on Tomcat one doesn't need to run the admin general upload-config command to push the properties back into the database. I've seen you mention this before. May I ask why? Does Tomcat automagically push a properties file into the database? Or is information from the database side properties never leveraged on Tomcat systems?

• 2.  Re: Friday Tip: admin general upload-config?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2016 02:02 PM

In a tomcat system, i don't see it reads from database, it is used when your app is hosted on non tomcat platform. I did a small test of deleting the properties.xml in cmn_config table and I dont see any issue.

Regards

Suman

• 3.  Re: Friday Tip: admin general upload-config?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 02:38 PM

Thanks Suman - good to know. I was trained to always upload the config from the tomcat/7.5.3 days so I've always just done what I was told. I will add this as a voice from the field of someone who's been supporting this stuff since Grace Hopper did her cypherin' on an abacus - admin general download-config has saved me more than a couple times (I've seen disabling a trace in NSA corrupted our properties.xml - more than once).

Good to know that it doesn't appear to be necessary - but I think I'll keep doing it because it's a prudent backup mechanism.

Thanks for testing and educating!