DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  New to EPA: Could use help with alerting on failures

Posted Mar 10, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi, I would like to report on random, non-pollable events, such as a backup failure, and have an alert generated. I would also like to pass the details of the failure, possibly an entire paragraph’s worth. What is the best way to do this with Wily/EPA? I know there are ‘events’, but it doesn’t seem like you can generate alerts based on events. Also, I know there a metric type called StringEvent, but again, you cannot alert on these, nor have them included in the alert text. Is there a recommended/standard way for doing this? Thank you very much for reading this. -Thomas

• 2.  Re: New to EPA: Could use help with alerting on failures

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 12:15 PM

• 3.  Re: New to EPA: Could use help with alerting on failures

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 12:22 PM

Hi Thomas:

Please let us know if additional assistance if needed or Hiko's solution is sufficient

Thanks

Hal German

• 4.  Re: New to EPA: Could use help with alerting on failures

Posted Mar 11, 2016 09:16 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your replies Hallett and Haruhiko.

I reviewed the attached document and my understanding is that the reference perl script can be used to send email notifications when the agent has lost contact with EM.

However, I am looking for a way to send an alert with full text about the error through the EM system and its notification rules.

Does such functionality exist?

• 5.  Re: New to EPA: Could use help with alerting on failures

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2016 04:55 PM

It will depend on the data you want to send and how you will setup the notification from the EM.

If you want to send the data from EPA as an error event, there is a specific XML format you must generate for it to show as an error.

At that point, you will still need a way to create an alert notification, so you will need to do something similar to ExceptionErrorReporter.