Clarity

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (March 2016)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (March 2016)

Posted Mar 10, 2016 05:43 PM

Miss the March PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in April for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes.

Ready for questions!

from amy to Everyone:

If we have approvers that fail to respond to action items, what are the best ways to remind them that an action item is waiting and then cancel the request needing approval if they do not respond?

from Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:

@amy: Are you sending these action items out under the control of a process?  If so, there is a method of escalation within the process step for handling these events.

from KERI TAYLOR to Everyone:

I am interesting in knowing if there are any impacts to changing a Program back to a Project that has children investments. I wouldn't imagine any, however, wanted to at least ask.

from amy to Everyone:

Yes, these are process action items.  But we'd actually like to remind the approver at least once before involving their manager.  Is there any way to send a reminder to the person(s) that received the action item?

@amy: The section on step-level escalations here is what I refer to: https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-3/administrating/configure-processes

@amy: some of the options are for notifying the management chain, but you can also select a 'resource field' available to the process (which depending on your process definition may be the recipient of the earlier action item) to receive the push/reminder

from Connie Fu (CA) to Everyone:

@Keri no impact, just be sure to run the Update Aggregated Data job after the change

@Connie excellent, thank you. i didn't know that.

Keep the questions coming!

from amy to Everyone:

Thanks for the doc link @Nick.  For the resource field, that is a specific person though, not a person identified in a field of the object the process/action item is working on, right? 

@amy: Normally you identify the recipients for your action items in the process UI with the same popup as you would use for the escalation, so if it's a group or a field from the object (e.g. project manager or similar) to receive the action item, I think they can also be selected to receive the reminders

@Connie i see that this job is actually scheduled to run every 10 min, so we are good. Thanks! :-)

Want to win an Apple Watch? Two Ways to Win! Register for the PPM Virtual Summit and Tweet about the Summit using #PPMSummit! - https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-clarity/blog/2016/03/09/want-to-win-an-iwatch-two-ways-to-win-register-for-the-ppm-virtual-summit-and-tweet-about-the-summit-using-ppmsummit

from Janet Ulrich to Everyone:

@Keri You will also have to update the track mode of the former Program to enable time entry. Programs are set to a Track Mode of None, and Projects needs a track mode of PPM (or Clarity for older versions) to allow time entry to be available.

@amy: I'm sorry I think I misunderstood the options available and it's not going to be exactly the same range available to select from for the escalation piece after all.

@Janet excellent, thank you. I noticed this yesterday as i did some testing. I also noticed that the Read Only attriubte was set to Yes in the subprojects list.

Anymore qestions folks?

*questions

from amy to Everyone:

@Nick for our escalation notifications (we are on 13.2) I only see OBS hierarchy, Resource Manager Hierarchy and specific resource as options, but in specific resource I can only select a specific person but not a person identified in the action item.

@amy: Yes, sorry - I was mistaken in thinking the other tabs would be available in that dialog but they are not, those are the only options.

from amy to Everyone:

@Nick I have heard that the Send Action Item Reminder job only applies to personal action items.  Is that correct?  Or is there any detailed documentation on that job?  I see that we can use the process action items to set fields on process action items.

@amy: that is also correct, when you setup a personal action item there is a specific reminder option where you specify the time/interval to receive the reminder - the job uses that information, which isn't there for process action items

@amy: I'm not sure if other customers have found a way around this or not - a community thread might be worth opening to check - otherwise it could be a good idea to raise on the site

from amy to Everyone:

@Nick so even though it looks like I can set a time/interval on the process action item via a system action, the job won't pick up on that?

@amy: I'm referring specifically to the 'Time before reminder' and 'Units' fields that are on personal action items, they are not on the process action items for the job to use

In case anyone missed this announcement: Service Update Announcement for  CA PPM - Memory leak issue with MS SQL 2014 - https://communities.ca.com/thread/241749923

from amy to Everyone:

@Nick thank you.  I think I will try your suggestion of asking the community how they handle this.

OK everyone - we'll give it a few more minutes then finish up for today. Any last questions please get them in. Thanks!

from amy to Everyone:

Thank you all!

THank you

Thank you for your participation everyone! Please join us back here in April!