DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Cognos monitoring with CA APM

• 1.  Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Mar 10, 2016 05:22 PM

Dears,

I configured Cognos to be monitored by CA APM but in Backend I did not get the database backend in Backends list, but I got something like Unknown Driver:

the datawarehouse database is installed in AS400 OS.

can some help, it is urgent please because I need to get SQL requests going to DB?

Best Regards

• 2.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 08:13 PM

Hello,

It looks like the AppServer datasource defined for the Cognos database is using an unsupported driver.

You can view the supported driver list in the SQL Agent section of the Agents sheet in the Compatibility Guides: CA Application Performance Management Compatibility Guides - CA Technologies

What RDBMS & driver is being used?

Thanks

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Mar 11, 2016 02:54 AM

Hello Lynn,

for datasource they are using DB2 installed on AS400 system.

for the driver do you know how to check the driver type?

BR

• 4.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Mar 11, 2016 03:24 AM

I think they are using DB2 driver see bellow links: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_10.2.1/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.dyn_query.10.2.1.doc/t_dqm_conn_db2_zos.html?lang=fr

is it not supported by APM 10.1?

what we can do to monitor this backend?

Many Thanks

• 5.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 11, 2016 08:24 AM

Hi Radouane:

I am looking at the 10.1 Compatibility Guide which Lynn has the link above.  I see Sysview for DB2. Looking under APM agent tab for SQL Agent, I see only Oracle and SQL Server listed. Including Lynn to describe your alternatives.

Lynn_Williams

• 6.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Mar 11, 2016 01:39 PM

If you turn ON the debug on the agent side & start with fresh sets of logs, it will give you some more hints about the class name. That might be helpful to understand the type of DB driver being used here

• 7.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Mar 12, 2016 07:37 PM

hello,

I am getting this traces in Agent log:

> ############################################

> # Skips for Sybase JConnect 5.x, 4.x drivers

> # This class implements Statement but its impementation is dummy.

> # We will see Unknown Driver node if this class is instrumented

> SkipClassForFlag: com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybLiteral SQLAgentStatements

> SkipClassForFlag: com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybLiteral SQLAgentStatements

> TraceOneMethodWithParametersIfFlagged: SQLJSQLAgentRTStatements executeRTQuery()Lsqlj/runtime/profile/RTResultSet; SQLBackendTracer "Unknown Driver"

> TraceOneMethodWithParametersIfFlagged: SQLJSQLAgentRTStatements execute()Z SQLBackendTracer "Unknown Driver"

> TraceOneMethodWithParametersIfFlagged: SQLJSQLAgentRTStatements executeUpdate()I SQLBackendTracer "Unknown Driver"

> TraceOneMethodWithParametersIfFlagged: SQLJSQLAgentRTStatements setObject(ILjava/lang/Object;)V SQLBackendTracer "Unknown Driver"

the client use the bellow driver:

BR

• 8.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2016 05:50 PM

Hi BR,

That last screenshot is for an ODBC driver, but the problem relates to the JDBC driver used in the AppServer datasource definition.

1. Is the WebSphere AppServer hosting the Cognos app? If yes what version of WebSphere?
    2. What agent version is being used?
    3. The earlier IBM reference you gave shows that is the JDBC Type 4 driver db2jcc4.jar. Please find out what JDBC URL is being used for the datasource as defined in the AppServer - the format will be something like this: jdbc:db2://<server>:<port>/<dbname>
    4. As suggested by SNiazi please enable DEBUG in the Agent profile (log4j.logger.IntroscopeAgent=DEBUG, logfile), restart the AppServer instance for Cognos and upload the zipped IntroscopeAgent.log & AutoProbe.log

Thanks

Lynn

• 9.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Mar 13, 2016 07:27 PM
    1. the appserver is tomcat installed with directly Cognos
    2. agent version is 10.1
    3. the customer told me that to connect to datasource the normal DB2 driver not working so they are using this one as alternative(they are connecting to DB2 data source using ODBC)
    4. please find the Agent logs attached.

BR

• 10.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2016 07:53 PM

Hi BR,

As far as I know the APM Java agent won't be able to monitor DB2 or any database via an ODBC driver connection.

I don't know much about Cognos but from these links link it seems that Tomcat is only used for part of it & the ODBC connection is part of a different tier to the Application tier:

IBM Cognos Proven Practices: IBM Cognos Express 9.5 Troubleshooting

Cognos 10 JDBC Support - Toolbox for IT Groups

Adding Guenter_Grossberger & Hiko_Davis to see if they have alternative ideas for monitoring using APM

Or it may need a UIM/Nimsoft DB probe:

db2 (DB2 Database Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentatio…

Regards,

Lynn

• 11.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Oct 05, 2017 10:27 AM

Folks,

Here is a TEC Doc I asked CA Support to whip up and post it. Thank huaba01 for taking care of this.

How to monitor Cognos 11 and avoid instrumentation failures. 

Cheers

Manish

• 12.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 10:41 AM

Hi Manish:

FYI I created the KD after independently being requested by Engineering.huaba01 is more than welcome to add updates to that KD based on this thread since a lot of the above is not included.

Thanks

Hal German

• 13.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Posted Oct 05, 2017 11:24 AM

can you provide the KD link?

• 14.  Re: Cognos monitoring with CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 11:27 AM

Here you go How to monitor Cognos 11 and avoid instrumentation failures. This is the same one you listed above Manish.