Clarity

• 1.  capacity vs demand by role questions

Posted Mar 15, 2016 05:23 AM

Hello,

In Capacity vs demand by role report. Can anyone explain me how capacity and demand is calculated for a role consisting of single person?

As per my investigation capacity = availability . If there are 22 working days and 8 is working hours . then capacity is 22*8 = 176.

Demand = Allocation (assuming). The allocation of the resource is not matching with the report displaying the demand data. Please let me know what i am missing here?

• 2.  Re: capacity vs demand by role questions

Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:45 AM

does anybody can provide me any inputs to calculate the demand ?

• 3.  Re: capacity vs demand by role questions

Posted Mar 16, 2016 11:10 AM

Hi Puneeth,

As per the description, I believe this question came from the discrepancy that you have probably seen in any of the Portlets. If the portlet is out of the box then I would suggest you to kindly raise a case to CA Support as these kind of issues need a deeper analysis to find out if we are missing out some allocation for the affected role/resource.

I have gone through the discussion topic and I would not defer anything on your concept of Capacity and Demand. So I just have a feeling that there is some allocation that you might have missed.

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar

• 4.  Re: capacity vs demand by role questions

Posted Mar 16, 2016 04:12 PM

Don't disagree with anything above.

Just to get an understanding could you please give some more numbers eg what do you see instead of the 176.

What is the length of the working day set with shifts in the calendar to which the role is associated and is that the same as the availability on the resource properties.

Is the role associated with the standard calendar.

• 5.  Re: capacity vs demand by role questions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 07:16 PM

Capacity = Resource's available working hours

Demand = Resource's allocation hours

Both of these total values are stored on a BLOB and sliced into time segments.

You may have a discrepancy if you are looking for slice data that is not sliced based on date ranges.

• 6.  Re: capacity vs demand by role questions
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 01, 2016 01:48 PM

correct reason for mismatch:

The reports use the lowest level of OBS available.  The lowest is the Staff OBS.  If that is blank it goes up to the resource OBS.

This functionality is used throughout PPM for areas such as charge codes, OBS, role.

The clarity 14.2 product guide documentation states:

For the capacity amounts, the resource OBS parameter filters resources based on their OBS.

For the allocation or assignment demand amounts, the resource OBS parameter filters investment team members based on their staff OBS.

If the staff OBS is not completed for the team members, then it filters the resources based on their OBS.