Service Operations Insight

• 1.  We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .

Posted Mar 16, 2016 09:54 AM

We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .

I am looking for limitation of this utility,can we run it over 30K plus devices weekely/bikeely..

what will be the impact and is there any other option through which we can enrich data into SOI.

• 2.  Re: We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 09:59 AM

Hi Sonia,

What is the reason for running this command for 30k CIs every week?

Which Property is being updated through this command?

Thanks

Brahma

• 3.  Re: We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .

Posted Mar 17, 2016 06:40 AM

Hi Brahma, Ideally it wouldn't be running weekly. I will run it monthly or quarterly, still i am trying to figure out bench-marking/flxibility of this utility. I want to update Location or Department information.

Thanks

Sonia

• 4.  Re: We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .

Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:01 AM

Hi Sonia,

can you please explain why you want to update 30k CIs on a regular base.

Normally CI information is quite stable - what do you want to update so often?

Possibly a different approach on Domain Manager level might be the better way to achieve this.

MichaelBoehm

• 5.  Re: We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .

Posted Mar 17, 2016 06:44 AM

I need to update CI information with OS enrichment, Cmdb enrichment have certain issues in my environment so i was looking for enriching CIs manually via CLI or using a script that read a csv file and to update alertUserAttribute. Do let me know if you have any other suggestion on this.. .

• 6.  Re: We are trying to enrich multiple CI via WSSamCICmd utility on SOI 3.3 .
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2016 04:33 AM

Hi Sonia,

following are some suggestions:

• OS details should always be published to the CI.  This is static information that does not change (too often) and thus adding this information to every Alarm would create a massive overhead on the system.
    • What is the CMDB used for if not for getting data about CIs?  Which CMDB do you use – we might have a connector that brings in all the details automatically?
    • To use a scheduled way of updating the SOI CIs with OS-information should be performed in a more intelligent way:
        • Rather than using the full set of CIs and writing everything again, there should be a comparison of the previous information having been submitted.
        • This will reduce the amount of update-calls to SOI drastically.
        • By always keeping a copy of the previous DB extract you can perform such a comparison.
    • You don’t seem to have a complete Change Management process in place.  Otherwise it would be possible to add an additional step (to update the OS Info) whenever a new machine comes online or is updated.
    • The way to update every Alert with this information can have massive performance impacts. If using this way, it has to be done in a very optimized way (such as using java calls, keeping information about previous runs for comparison, etc.).
    • An Alert does not carry any information about the real name of the CI it will be attached to.

The only identifier known to the Alert is the MdrElementID of the CI, but this might be very cryptic (for example a model_id in Spectrum).

To enrich an Alert with CI information would require

• either multiple SQL queries to find the proper CI in the SOI DB and extract the OS information,
        • or a table containing the MdrElementID and the OS information to have a direct reference.

I am not aware of any performance figures for WSSAMCICmd.

In summary:

This is all not as easy as it sounds.  CA Services could be involved to help you in setting this up as part of a project.

The preferred option would be to make use of the CMDB - this is exactly what a CMDB is used for.

MichaelBoehm