Clarity

• 1.  Baseline not matching Budget

Posted Mar 17, 2016 04:20 PM

I am new to Clarity (just started using it about 6 weeks ago) and am trying to figure out how the baseline and budgets work.  I created a cost plan and auto-populated it based on task assignments.  It is the plan of record and also submitted it as the approved budget.  Then - I created a baseline.  Why are the two total cost amounts different?  Shouldn't the baseline and the budget be the exact same Total Cost?  The budgeted cost is $125k but the BAC is calculating at $89k.  Any help with this?

• 2.  Re: Baseline not matching Budget

Posted Mar 17, 2016 10:20 PM

I haven't gotten any responses yet so I thought I'd provide more information.  How is the baseline BAC calculated?  I've seen two different calculations, one based on cost in the Tuesday Tips and one based on billing rate in the user guide.  I want to understand how it's calculated so I can figure out why it doesn't match the budget plan.

According to the CA PPM official user guide BAC is this:

BAC = ((Actuals + Remaining Work) x Billing Rate)

According to the Tuesday Tips_EV.doc it says BAC is this:

BAC: (Sum of all the assignment level Actual Cost values for the project) + ETC (Cost)

• 3.  Re: Baseline not matching Budget

Posted Mar 18, 2016 04:11 PM

My understanding is that the two BAC definitions say the same as far as the effort goes.

You could compare the efforts to see if the cost is calculated with the billing rate.

If you plan and budget is for a shorter length in time than the project duration you should expect the baseline and budget to be differen.

• 4.  Re: Baseline not matching Budget

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 07:20 PM

Check to ensure you have executed a full run of the Rate Matrix Extraction job.

The Baselines, Post Timesheets and Update Cost Totals all use the rates from the Extraction NBI table.

The Cost Plans use the 'live' matrix row data.

Also, depending on the columns configured on the matrix, the grouping columns selected on the financial plan and the method of population, there may be distinct reason that can explain the discrepancy.