Release Automation

• 1.  Backing up an Oracle database using RMAN (or a different method)

Posted Apr 06, 2016 11:41 AM

Hi guys!

We're working on a process to run SQL scripts on an Oracle database and we'd like to perform a database backup prior to do so.  What do you recommend? Is it a good idea to use a RMAN command? what's your experience in the subject?

Thanks!

Patricio

• 2.  Re: Backing up an Oracle database using RMAN (or a different method)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2016 05:38 AM

Hi,

Which DB you are referring to backup any application or of RA. I don't think there is any specific answer to this question as the command usage I think is determine by policy and comfort of a DBA. 

To answer with my preference I prefer data pump expdp over RMAN as with RMAN I face lot of constraints to handle it at receiver end.

But as mentioned that is just my preference.

• 3.  Re: Backing up an Oracle database using RMAN (or a different method)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2016 01:47 PM

I agree with Saurabh -- that's a question we can at best only provide personal preferences on.  RA creates and uses its own schema in Oracle DB, hence any method for backing up Oracle DB schemas in general should be valid.  Because that database is not one of our products, this would be a question better suited for Oracle directly. They also have their own customer forums where you could have such a discussion.  That said, I would be interested to see what other customers' opinions are here in the Communities on this topic.

For backup concerns directly related to Release Automation, the following KB details what all needs to be backed up to prepare for any disaster recovery scenario in RA: TEC1942295.