Plex 2E

Expand all | Collapse all

Making Local Model as a Group Model

• 1.  Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 01:42 AM

Hi

Our Group Model(backup also) is not working as expected and is completely useless to our development.

We are planning to make our last working Local Model as Group Model, but not sure If this is even possible??

Please provide some insight: If this a feasible solution and how to proceed on that.

Thanks

Kumar

• 2.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 02:04 AM

Yes, it is possible. It could be a hard work if your model is large, but possible. It will require a previous plan, and several tries before it be stable. And a good backup.

• 3.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 02:08 AM

As part of that, it would be a first step the creation of new group model containing all required libraries. It will simplify exports

• 4.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 02:54 AM

If model is small, you can try exporting it at once, simplifying work. If not, it involves several steps.
    It's important also your resources: as more memory and processor,  better.

• 5.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 06:16 AM

There is theory and there is reality

I do not recommend this. Having done this with small models.

Why? Trust me

Please note the following is in Plex help under Exporting an Object which I assume (assumptions kill projects..) would be part of the Exporting a Model and would prove a problem

Note: Local overrides on the parameter mappings inherited function and API calls are not exported.

Lets go back a step...what is the latest back up that is working? what is wrong with exisitng group model? Handshake issues can be got around

• 6.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 06:26 AM

Hi, George
    Indeed, creating a group model from export is hard, but what if your model was lost?
    How much you will need to redo after export, against writing again the group model?

• 7.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 06:32 AM

lets see how far back or the state of the current group model is first as it might have been prematurely discounted. I have saved a few group models before where as the export trick is not a copy. Export involves a complete re build and test of the application (s)

• 8.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 06:55 AM

Yes, agreed. Moreover,it's required to take in account variants while selecting the export block

• 9.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 07:28 AM

Hi Kumar,

Your statment about Group Model BackUp is surprising.

Your last working local Model must have come from last working Group Model.

What is the size of your local model ?

Preferred method would still be from last working Group Model.

Exporting should be last option, with basic objects first and move up the hierarchy of objects.

Regards

AA

• 10.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 07:35 AM

"Exporting should be last option, with basic objects first and move up the hierarchy of objects."   absolutely not. Big if the last line of attack is to an export, you need export the whole model

• 11.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:43 AM

Exporting a whole model could be the better choice depending on its size...if it is very large, really difficult. In such cases, I agree with Ashfaq in moving from simple to complex.

• 12.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:45 AM

...but maybe feedback from Kumar would give us a better insight...

• 13.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 07:55 AM

Thanks guys for your quick response.

Frankly I don't know what is wrong with our Group model.

The Local Model extracts does have good size of ~130MB(around 170K objects) extracted from this Group model.

But due to some reason which I don't know these extracts don't show the Action diagram or Triples for the objects.

We have different Variant and levels for some the Action diagram/triples displays for some it doesn't.

After several failed attempts to fix the Group Model(changing configuration etc..),

Then we started thinking of the possibility of making one of our Older Local Model as Group Model.

As we have very limited knowledge in Admin part of plex am not getting sure of the extract process/feasibility of this.

Thanks

Kumar

• 14.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 09:01 AM

Having several variants, it is possible you are viewing the wrong configuration. It doesn't mean code created in the right place, but code created in an unexpected place.

• 15.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model

Posted Apr 07, 2016 09:12 AM

kumar, cant be bothered to detail all the reasons for this. My offer to you is give me 1/2 hour in your environment while you watch I will show you what has gone wrong. that is my FREE offer. take me up with it or not...your choice

• 16.  Re: Making Local Model as a Group Model
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 07, 2016 03:56 PM

Hi Kumar,

I managed to re-create your issue.

The problem/issue could be with the Model Management and not with the Group Model.

Group Model should be perfectly alright.

Regards

AA