Release Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Parameters between proceses

• 1.  Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 08, 2016 05:23 PM

Hi, I have an application parameter that is updated in a process in predeployment step, but when I tried to use it in deployment step I get a publish conflict:

image.png

Is there any way to use application parameters between processes?

Thanks for your help.

• 2.  Re: Parameters between proceses
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 10, 2016 01:47 AM

Below two options you can use

1.Use one of the ROC update parameter actions during pre deployment  to update your parameter value (Your parameter need to be with User Input scope so it allow you to publish the process)

2.Use Deployment properties

In you pre deployment set value to a property using "ROC - Update Deployment Property Value" action

In your deployment step read the value into your parameter using "ROC - Get Deployment Property Value" action

Thanks

Jacky

• 3.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 11, 2016 04:20 PM

Thanks Jacky: One more question:

If have an StringArray parameter, is it possible to use the options you mentioned?

Thanks for your help on this.

• 4.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 11, 2016 05:51 PM

For string array params, I usually merge the array into a comma-delimited string and use that; then break it apart when I retrieve it……

I hope that’s clear

Chip Rabinowitz

Senior Enterprise DevOps Architect

A&I Solutions

702-443-7520

• 5.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 12, 2016 03:23 AM

There is action "ROC - Update String Array Parameter" which you can use in option 1.

In option 2 you can use Chip approach

Thanks

Jacky

• 6.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 13, 2016 03:34 PM

Ok, thaks for your help, I forgot to mention that both processes are in diferents steps (pre-deployment and deployment). The modelling product concept is that you shouldn't share any information between processes of diferents steps?

Thanks.

• 7.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 14, 2016 01:49 AM

You can use the update parameters/property actions  in the pre deployment steps and use them in the deployment steps by running the method we mention above

Did you failed setting value to property in pre deployment step and get the value in deployment step?

• 8.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 25, 2016 02:59 PM

Jacky: The option 2  worked fine. In mi opinion, it should exist a better way to share parameters between processes in different steps. For example a deployment level parameter.

I tried with option one, but I don't understand why the value should be User Input type. I tried to update it using roc parameters action without success.

• 9.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 26, 2016 02:55 AM

hey,

I think the current possibilities to set parameters for steps is ok, the only thing I'm missing is application parameters for shared components, but this is a different story.

To your question: the parameter must be user input because otherwise you're not able to publish the process (because you will get a conflict, that it is never updated) and you also need it so that you're able to set it multiple times (means different values for different steps or server types etc.).

We use both options that jacky mentioned, but the first one is the one, we use the most, especially for shared components.

best regards

michael

• 10.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 26, 2016 10:03 AM

Michael: As far as I know, when you set a parameter as user input,  the flow stops in order to obtain the value from the user, but in my case I already have the value for the parameter. That's why I can't see how user input type is used.

• 11.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Apr 26, 2016 10:33 AM

Parameter that set with user input scope will not ask for value from the user in case its already got a value (e.g from value set by other actions in the flow/process before the action that user the parameter will be execute)

• 12.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:43 PM

Jacky_MahadabMichaelGebhardt  : Sorry for the late response:  I created a simple worflow and I get this error:

LoopCounter Parameter is defined as user input.

I used set parameter Action to set a value to LoopCounter, and then tried to update with an user input value.

I also tried with set parameter actio two times:

What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

• 13.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Aug 26, 2016 04:59 AM

why would you need to update it twice? 

I'm not even sure if this is possible, as we normally use this how jacky described it, that we set the parameters in our pre-deployment for the processes/deployment steps that are being executed in the deployment phase.

• 14.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 04:59 AM

Hi ,

believe you have the correct answer on this questions so I marked is as answered , if you do not  have a correct answer

please let us know.

Regards

Dirk

• 15.  Re: Parameters between proceses

Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:43 PM

DIRK, I updated the post with a new comment. 

Thanks for your help.