CA Service Management

• 1.  CA SDM integration with IBM versa stack

Posted Apr 12, 2016 06:35 AM

Hi All,

Is it possible to integrate CA SDM, Catalog with IBM Versastack (Cisco Cloud)?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Lova

• 2.  Re: CA SDM integration with IBM versa stack

Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:53 AM

To answer to your question, yes (even when I have no idea what the systems on the other offer). Now, what you can really do depends on what selection of tools you have at your disposal. SDM is notoriously bad at communicating with external systems with anything but e-mail and that for integrating two systems is the worst you can have apart from no integration at all. I have no idea if SC adds anything to that so someone will have to complement my answer if they know better.

Years ago I built an outbound notification method that would talk SOAP to an external integration service that handled the rest of the stuff, but that meant writing a new notification method that could grab the data from SDM and then pass it on to the other end. It was a fun project and it worked perfectly. In essence it was a command line tool that read the temp file passed onto it by the custom notification method and then did what the config file told it to do. This is exactly like the out-of-the-box mail notifier works, they read the data from the file (or env variables, depends on your config) and then process that information.

Even if you have nothing external you can use, SDM ships with Perl and Java so you can write the integration component with those and guarantee it to work with any SDM installation. With Perl you might be limited with the libs you have at your disposal but with Java you can wrap all the required libs into a runnable JAR and you're good to go.