Chris_Hackett

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (April 2016)

Discussion created by Chris_Hackett Employee on Apr 14, 2016

Miss the April PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in May for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes.

OK - We're going to go ahead and get started. We're a little light on CA folks due to a conflicting activity but we'll forge ahead:)

from Peter Hardin to Everyone:

I have a question regarding baselines in OWB.

Suppose that I have a baselined project (baseline 1000h) that has been running for some time. Some tasks have a forecasted underrun, some an overrun and some are on budget. The estimate at completion is now 1050h, i.eg a small, forcasted overrun of 50h. The sponsor now wants to add a new feature and approves a change request for 100h. I add a new task of 100h to my WBS and would like to re-baseline to show that my baseline after the change request now is 1100h.

If I re-baseline the entire WBS the baseline will become 1150h (wrong!) as all the over and underruns will be included in the new baseline.

If I only baseline the new task then the baseline figures does not roll up and the total baseline is still 1000h (wrong again!). Why does the baseline not roll up??

What is your suggested way to manage this situation?

from Martti K. to Everyone:

Recently there has been a couple of posts in the community about entering actuals in OWB without timesheets and time entries.

That was usually done in OWB setting the trackmode to none. My recollection is that there was a change in about v12.x

The change being that it was not possible after time had been entered once to the project in question through timesheets only before that.

Is that correct and if it is is there any documentation about that or does anybody recall if tha was brought up in a community discussion or in an Office Hours session? My recollection is that Connie confirmed the change in some post.

from Michael Brunak to Everyone:

Hello. While creating reports in JasperSoft studio using the "Table" component, what is the best practice for creating the "top-level" dataset? Should we use an "Empty Record" or other?

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hello, I have an auto-start process on an object, which has two middle steps

Step1 has Custom GEL Script Action Item and does some validation.

Step2 has two System action items to lock and unlock selected attributes.

If there are No validation errors in Step1 then Go to Step2 and execute it otherwise go to Finish step and terminate the process. Is there a way to accomplish this?

(continued) As the "Table" component requires its own dataset, does one create an empty record data source on the JasperServer to correspond to the "Empty Record" in the JasperSoft Studio report?

@Peter Hardin try using baseline aggregate instead of baseline and set baseline on the new task only. I do not know if baseline aggregate is available in CA PPM. The option is to roll back all the actuals and re enter the ETC and the do a full new base line and the enter tha actuals again.

from Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:

@Ramana: Post conditions of a process step can only really act on object attribute values for decision making - by that I mean I would at the end of step1 somehow issue a minor update against the object instance to flag the outcome of the actions performed, then you can use that in the post condition to decide which step to go to next

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Nick, Thank you. currently I am doing that. I want to see if there is any better way to do it without  extra update.

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Peter: Your question regarding Baseline in OWB sounds like it needs more investigation within the support team

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hi, How can I build var1 = 'Fail' or (var1 = 'Pass' and inCnt > 3) condition in a single GEL test={....} statement.

@Ramana: You can't include those GEL variables into the conditions, the scope of those variables is for within the GEL script only - so you'd have to store them 'outside' the GEL script on the object update as you were doing.

@Martti:  Regarding OWB entering Actuals, it is true. Actuals can only be entered in OWB if the configuration settings is 'None' and no actuals have been posted from timesheets (meaning you had trackmode set to PPM and changed it back to None) Once you have timesheet hours, you can't go back.  I think there may be a KB or it might be in a release note / change impact guide

@Ramana: If I misunderstood and you mean within GEL, which tag are you using, can you give more context?  Boolean 'AND' 'OR' and brackets should work as described generally.

from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone:

@Michael : The empty record is a dummy data adapter, it's usually used for templates. If you want to preview data from Studio, it's better to create a data adapter that actually accesses the database. We use the empty record just to preview the report layout. The data adapter is optional, and is only for preview from Studio. This functionality is currently only available for On Premise.

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Nick, thank you. I will try () within test

@Kathryn, thanks, I'll try to search those for the version.

@Nika - thank you. If I am creating a JS Studio report that uses a "Table" component with it's own dataset, what is the "top-level" dataset data provider in order to run the report. Unless I have at least one record at the top-level, the report will not execute.

Ready for more questions!

@Martti: Look at this KB (for which needs some updating and I will have an enginer update) .... http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec439136.aspx

@Martti - i will have the engineer put more information regarding the response I gave

@Nika: Once the report is deployed to the JasperServer, it requires a valid "top-level" data adaptor.

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hi,  I have creating a project using XOG thru Gel Script and noticed there are some dummy insert audit entries are created with midnight's timestamp YYYY-MM-DD 12:00:00 not exact timestamp of XOG operation.  Question is why dummy audit entries creating? The same is not happening when I create it thru UI

@Kathryn, thanks

@Martti K: I am not familiar with "baseline aggregate". It is mentioned in the help text of OWB but not available as a field in the view builder. Please let me know where to look for more info  on this.

@Kathryn Ellis: Can you plesae bring my issue re the baseline to the support team?

@Michael : I see. Data adapters are only available in Studio. Once the report is deployed it should be associated to a datasource. We have two datasources OOTB : CA PPM BEAN and CA PPM DWH BEAN, one for each database : you should use them with your reports, or use other custom datasources created in Jaspersoft - Datasources. After deploying the report go to edit the report definition and link with the datasource, this should work for you.

@Nika: Thank you!

@Peter When the current baseline functionality (summary tasks not rolling up) was introduced in 7.5 there was an outcry from the users and the baseline aggregate was brought in a fix pack. That worked as baselines had worked before that ie as the users expect. Have not looked at that for a while. What is your CA PPM version.

@Ramana: The updates will normally be based on the created date and last updated date of the record.  Usually they are the timestamps for when the action took place, but not always.  For example, when inserting a new Project via XOG you specify the created date and added by as parameters in the <General> section, these then are used for the fields that will ultimately end up being used for the audit too.  In addition to that, I suggest checking the following if you are ever considering doing any direct updates to Clarity records and how the audit trail can be impacted by that too: https://communities.ca.com/people/nick_darlington/blog/2015/03/24/impacts-of-direct-database-updates-to-the-audit-trail

from Damon (ca) to Everyone:

@Peter Hardin, this post includes some information on baseline aggregates in OWB https://communities.ca.com/thread/241709421

Any more questions out there?

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Nick, thank you. XOG XML has the General section with Added date attribute

@Damon and @Peter that looks like my OWB fro m14.2 as it has Autoschedule not Autoplan, row numbers and Edit View icon.

@MarttiK; My latest try was done using PPM v13.1 and OWB v2.0.0. We have recently updgraded to v14.3.

We'll be wrapping up for today unless there are more questions...going...going...

@Peter v13.1 should have Baseline aggregate in view builder/designer as v14.2 seems have  it.

@MarttiK @Damon: Thanks, will have closer look.

@Peter plese do open a case with support. The solution would make a good Tuesday's Tip article.

OK Everyone - Thank you for participating today and please join us back here in May!

Thank you everybody

Thanks

Outcomes