Clarity

• 1.  service command error in linux

Posted Apr 23, 2016 05:38 AM

I am working remote install of Clarity 14.3 into RedHat.

The client has a DEV environment up and we're trying to install TEST.

The user was created, java and tomcat installed, Clarity was installed but as soon as we went to issue a "service status all" command we got this.

“/sbin/runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted” error

We did a bunch of troubleshooting, and using DEV as a baseline, concluded that the issue is likely a OS level permissions issue.

This is consistent with a suspicion that the TEST server OS installation may not have been consistent with the way the DEV server OS was setup. 

They discovered that the TEST servers were all set for DHCP addressing and not set for static IP’s and with that they began to ponder “what else might not be configured correctly?”

However, i'm wondering if there could be some other cause for this kind of error.

• 2.  Re: service command error in linux
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2016 11:59 AM

Hi Brian,

"/sbin/runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted"  error will usually come up when the user is not specified in the properties.xml.

Please check the properties.xml and more specifically the rootUser parameter : you have to specify the user to be the one that starts Clarity PPM. For example:

<os user="nikuuser" group="staff" dbUser="oracle" dbGroup="staff" rootUser="nikuuser" commandPrefix=""/>

Save and restart services : then see how it goes.

Kind Regards -Nika

• 3.  Re: service command error in linux

Posted Apr 26, 2016 12:42 PM

Exactly what i needed.

Thanks Nika