Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

• 1.  14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Apr 29, 2016 03:17 AM

Hi guys,

We've upgraded 13.1 to 14.3. Our some users cannot access the system using IE 11. They just get a white screen when they enter the URL.

The application opens fine in Chrome.

Have any others encountered similar cases?

• 2.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 29, 2016 04:16 AM

I am using 14.3 with IE 11 and don't see the behavior. Can you please load the native URL like https://servername/niku.

Also what document mode is set with IE 11?

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 3.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Apr 29, 2016 04:27 AM

Hi Suman,

https://servername/niku didn't work.

"Also what document mode is set with IE 11?"   --- Sorry, I dont see what you mean?

• 4.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 29, 2016 04:37 AM

Hi Gamze,

See the explanation on document mode below

[MS-IEDOCO]: How Internet Explorer Chooses Between Document Modes

If you do a browser trace by pressing F12, do you see any error or block.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 5.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Apr 29, 2016 04:47 AM

Hi ,

We had encountered this issue and it can be easily resolved. IE 11 by default goes to IE8 Mode if the Clarity URL of your organization is enlisted  in the enterprise mode ( a building logo will come up before the URL in the address bar) , this is the way Microsoft has implemented compatibility mode in IE 11. Now even if you set the document mode to IE10 OR EDGE in desktop mode the page will come up, you will encounter the same issue when browser is opened again. So what steps do you have to follow to resolve this :

1. If your url is in enterprise list then please contact your browser team to get the same removed from the list to avoid enforcing compatibility mode.

2. Then clear the temp, cookies, and prefetch folders for Internet explorer (remember not from IE but by actually going to these folders)

And kabooom it will work

3. If you use Firefox then guiding every user to delete their local cache files will be a bit tricky as the root folder name inside Mozilla directory changes for every single installation.

If you want then I can share the batch files to resolve issue for both the browsers. Just publish it to your end users.

• 6.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted May 02, 2016 03:42 AM

Hi Nirbhay,

Could you send "batch files" to me?

gamze.unal@tacas.com.tr

Thank you.

• 7.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted May 02, 2016 06:25 AM

Hi,

PFA the batch files.

• 8.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Jun 12, 2016 07:57 AM

We have seen the same issue on our instance of 14.3 - or at least is sounds similar. In our case the app-system log generates an entry like this when the "white screen" appears:

2016/06/07 12:17:42.705 | Jun 07, 2016 12:17:42 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.http.LegacyCookieProcessor processCookieHeader

2016/06/07 12:17:42.705 | INFO: Cookies: Invalid cookie. Value not a token or quoted value

2016/06/07 12:17:42.705 |  Note: further occurrences of Cookie errors will be logged at DEBUG level.

Deleting the cookies in the browser appears to solve the issue. It would be good to understand why the issue arises in the first place however.

• 9.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2016 01:52 PM

The root cause is when you upgrade all your server side cookies are new and with version upgrade the client side code is totally different from server side code. So in browser when you hit the URL browser doesn't understand its a upgrade and it tries to load the page using the client side code and it mis-matches with server side code.

So once you clean up the cache it will reload everything 1st time from server and then re uses going forward.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 10.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Jun 12, 2016 04:24 PM

Thanks Suman. I had no idea about that. Please can you request that this is documented somewhere if it is not already. Fixing the cookies should really be a planned step in a migration. 

Regards

Philip

• 11.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:20 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Suman,

I have a few follow up questions that would be very useful to know:

1.       What is the name of the cookie that is being set by CA-PPM?

2.       What parameter or parameters within that cookie are relevant to this particular error?

3.       Does the cookie have a natural expiration date?

4.       Should we expect the same behaviour from all browsers – or just some?

Kind regards

Philip Smythe

• 12.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:43 AM

One further follow up: My guess is that this the blank screen issue may be occurring under selected circumstances only. Something like this:

1. We have seen this in IE - but it may not be the case with other browsers.

2. The browser has been left open while the underlying session has expired. This might be immediately after an upgrade or it could be later on.

3. The cookie contains information that is relevant to the old version 13 release - but not to the new one.

4. When refreshing from the URL, the old cookie values are sent to the server. The server rejects them with the error reported above.

5. At this stage, changing the value of the URL, hitting refresh or hitting shift refresh in the browser are all ineffective. Only the deletion of the the cookie plus a refresh will solve the problem.

• 13.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:58 AM

Hi Philip,

You are correct, I have seen this issue mostly with IE and the best option is to clear the browser cache. Also its not only cookie which it gets loaded, there are image files as well as java script. I think you raises a support case too and the reason is same

Hope this helps.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 14.  Re: 14.3 with IE 11 / White screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2016 02:15 AM

The cookie name is Uid