DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

VMware Monitoring

• 1.  VMware Monitoring

Posted May 05, 2016 01:16 AM

Hello,

We have spectrum 9.4 and sysedge 5.8. We are able to create parent child relationship for Hyper V technology by installing sysedge agent and Hyper V AIM and discovering in spectrum. Similarly I want to create for relationship for VMware technology. Which agent should be installed and how it should be installed so that parent child relationship is created in Spectrum.

We have OS on base

ESXi5.1

Thanks in advance

• 2.  Re: VMware Monitoring
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2016 02:41 AM

You have to install VirtualCenter AIM on top of SysEdge

Refer the KB article:

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1806805.aspx

• 3.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 05, 2016 10:17 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Need to know where do we install sysedge agent + AIM. Is there is some GUI

console in ESX for installing sysedge.

Regards

Jagdeep Singh Palan

=====

• 4.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2016 10:36 AM

It's not installed on the ESX host but rather on a Windows server that can connect to the vCenter system.  The vcAIM connects to vCenter via web services and then presents that information in the form of SNMP MIBs and traps that Spectrum and other tools can read.

• 5.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 05, 2016 12:29 PM

Hi Robert,

So we would  need one separate windows box for this. Will this create

parent child relationship.

Regards

Jagdeep Singh Palan

=====

• 6.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 05, 2016 12:37 PM

You need vCenter server .and the aim needs to be installed

• 7.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2016 12:40 PM

Yes and yes.  Older releases of Spectrum supported installing the agent and vcAIM on the same server as vCenter but that is no longer supported with recent releases. 

• 8.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 26, 2016 03:30 AM

But here, we have vCenter deployed on appliance 5.1 and not on windows. How do we monitor that.

Please help

• 9.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 26, 2016 06:12 AM

Jagdeep,

Have the VCAIM/Sysedge deployed on standalone server.

• 10.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 26, 2016 06:13 AM

Whats your Spectrum version?

• 11.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 26, 2016 06:27 AM

Spectrum 10.0

=====

• 12.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 26, 2016 09:58 AM

Hi,

we have spectrum version 10.0

vc AIM and sysedge can be installed on windows/unix but here we have vcenter appliance 5.1. How do we install sysedge + vc AIM on this appliance?

• 13.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 30, 2016 10:55 AM

You can install the Systemedge Agent and AIM on a separat (Virtual) Server. The AIM will then configured to connect remotely to the WebServices of the vCenter Appliance. I (and CA as I know) do not recomment to install the AIM on the SpectroServer, because of the side effects regards load SNMP prots aso. It is possible but in production don´t do it.

Alex 

• 14.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2016 11:22 PM

Are you using Vcenter appliance mentioned in  https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2007619

In the URL http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc%2FGUID-0B9988FF-5FB6-4656-9C58-EE3617B57E90.html   it is mentioned -

"The VMware vCenter Server Appliance is a preconfigured Linux-based virtual machine that is optimized for running vCenter Server and associated services."

As mentioned  the appliance is optimized for running vCenter Server , SysEdge/VCAIM install may fail  & also having SysEdge VCAIM & vCenter  on same Server is not supported.

• 15.  Re: VMware Monitoring

Posted May 27, 2016 10:55 AM

Hello,

I am on  Leave from 30th May 2016 to 10th June 2016. I have limited access to Phone and mail. Any Urgent matters please call ENTIIS office @ +65 6283.7378 . Else I will respond to your mail when I get chance to respond.

Thanks

Rajesh

+65 92380924