DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

• 1.  SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Posted May 10, 2016 04:14 PM

I created a New SNMP Alert Action

and filed out necessary fields

When I click "Test Now", I can see the log entry in the MoM logs. Even an "Email to" Action gets triggered

5/10/16 03:43:32.499 PM EDT [INFO] [PO:main Mailman 8] [Manager.SNMPAlertAction] SNMPAlertAction created, version 1

5/10/16 03:44:32.926 PM EDT [INFO] [PO:main Mailman 7] [Manager.Action] Test requested of Action "Send Alert to SOI".

5/10/16 03:45:09.224 PM EDT [INFO] [PO:main Mailman 7] [Manager.Action] Test requested of Action "Send Alert to SOI".

5/10/16 03:45:10.008 PM EDT [INFO] [PO:main Mailman 2] [Manager.Action] Test requested of Action "Send Alert to SOI".

5/10/16 03:45:10.755 PM EDT [INFO] [PO:main Mailman 8] [Manager.Action] Test requested of Action "Send Alert to SOI".

5/10/16 03:54:10.103 PM EDT [INFO] [Alarm Pooled Worker] [Manager.Action] Action "Email to Manish & Biing" successfully sent SMTP mail to "manish.a.parikh@baesystems.com,biing.chou@baesystems.com"

But when and actual Alerts triggers, this Action "Send Alert to SOI" DOES NOT trigger?

Any idea why?

There are no firewall issues, no network issues, no permission issue, no SOI Connector (v2.2.0..82) issues.

APM v10.1, the SNMP Alert Action is not triggering even though the threshold as been breached by the alert. I had an additional action (email) to make sure it wasn't "any" action that's not triggering. The email action is triggering but the "Sending SNMP Trap to SOI Conn" is not triggering (based on MoM logs) 

Thanks in advance.

Guenter_Grossberger MichaelBoehm Jeff_Morris ManishParikh Hiko_Davis Hallett_German

• 2.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2016 04:19 PM

Looks like the trap is being sent; have you looked at the RAW logs on the connector server?

You may also want to get a copy of TrapReceiver to do these tests to eliminate the network as being a problem. It just runs locally on your laptop or Windows server and alerts you to when a trap comes in.

I find it really useful.

• 3.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Posted May 10, 2016 04:25 PM

So, it’s not a SOI Connector issue not it’s a network issue. The “Test Now” button when pressed works and you can see the log entry as shown above. But when that same SNMP Trap action is triggered in a real alert…………nothing happens.

Usually the MoM logs will show the log entry when the SNMP Trap Action is trigger just like an Email Action is triggered.

• 4.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2016 04:29 PM

Now I understand.

So no log entries during a real alert.

How is your alert configured? I assume you're using a state change for these alerts so notifications are sent during breach and when it's back to normal? Are you using action delays?

• 5.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Posted May 10, 2016 04:34 PM

Hiko_Davis

Alert is configured with 2 action (on purpose), 1 is SNMP Trap to SOI Conn and the other 1 an email sent to me and my co-worker. See screenshot below. So, if one action triggers then the other MUST triggers as well.

• 6.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2016 04:47 PM

Can you place your MOM log into DEBUG mode and let another breach occur?

Please post your log entries when done.

• 7.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Posted May 10, 2016 05:02 PM
      |   view attached

Hiko_Davis Here are the logs

Even in DEBUG mode, I don't see any mention of that Action "Send Alert to SOI"

Attachment(s)

zip
    MoM_DEBUG.log.zip   13 KB 1 version

• 8.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2016 05:16 PM

Something is clearly going on starting at line 1237. We're just not seeing the EM message.

I still recommend you try and send the trap to yourself by having TrapReceiver running on your laptop. Configure the alert action to point your IP address and send another trap.

• 9.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2016 06:35 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Manish,

I don't think you have a problem at MOM end because log shows 2 occurrences of "[Manager.SNMPAlertAction]" i.e. one for each Alert Action

The extra info about the email action is separate & later.

If you are not seeing the data in SOI it sounds like a problem furtehr down the line with Connector/SOI.

To get DEBUG on Connector edit C:\SOI\resources\Configurations\log4j\APM_log4j.xml and change INFO to TRACE. Then restart "CA Sam Integration Services"

Also see attached doc from SergioMorales

(I am the process of trying to setup APM 10.1 with APM Connector 2.2.0.82 to SOI 4.1 for another case we have)

Hope it helps

Lynn

Attachment(s)

• 10.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2016 10:28 PM

Attached are steps I successfully tested with

• APM 10.1
    • Weblogic Medrec (10.1 agent) - ART alert with SNMP Alert Action
    • APM Connector 2.2.0.82
    • SOI 4.1

Hope it helps.

Lynn

Attachment(s)

• 11.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Posted May 11, 2016 09:20 AM

Ok Lynn_Williams, I will give it a shot today and work with the SOI team.

Will keep you posted on this thread.

Thanks

Manish

• 12.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2016 08:38 AM

Hi Manish:

Please let us know if Lynn's and Hiko's recent notes help

Thanks

Hal German

• 13.  Re: SNMP Alert Action not Triggering in APM 10.1
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2016 10:01 AM

Lynn_Williams ManishParikh Hiko_Davis Hallett_German Jeff_Morris

Apparently on the SOI Connector side in the config, there was a space left in front of the IP address ..........once that space was removed they were able to see the SNMP Traps from APM Introscope

I'd like to apologize b/c you guys all worked hard to provide the assistance and it turned out to be a syntax error on our side.

Also, I am going to close this discussion but like to live the other SOI discussion thread open Anyone using SOI Connector v2.2.0.81 with APM 10.1?

Thanks again for all your help

Manish