AnsweredAssumed Answered

Method to verify vmware probe working and not in corrupted state??

Question asked by Daniel Blanco Champion on May 16, 2016
Latest reply on May 31, 2016 by Daniel Blanco

Hello, looking for some guidance here with regards to creating a script or a pu command to check if all my vmware probe instances are working correctly and not in a corrupted state.

What I mean by this is out of the blue, we'd try to open a vmware probe and we get the error:  key host not found The probe's GUI doesn't load and while in this state isn't monitoring anything.

We've already implemented the increased java memory startup change to start up the vmware probe with 256MB but that doesn't fix it 100% of the time.

Investigating the probe while in this broken state the <properties> section which contains the username, password, etc is missing from the <resources> section of the vmware probe.

So if you open the probe in RAW mode, you'd see under the resources folder the entries but there would be no sub-folders. When you don't see the sub folders which would be 'auto_monitors' and 'properties' the probe is in this broken state.

broken vmware example.jpg

We then have to go thru the whole process of restoring the probe to a good working state with a backed up good cfg file.

Anyway my question; is there a way to check, for the existence of these sub-entries under the <resource> entries to verify they exist? Right now the only way to verify is to manually go to each instance and open in RAW mode and check. Would this be possible thru either thru a pu.exe call back or something else? There is no way to know the vmware probe is in this broken state unless you by chance open the probe and actually get the error pop up:  key host not found

Outcomes