CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Disabling the users ticket creation ability

• 1.  Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 17, 2016 12:39 AM

Hi All,

CASD 12.7

We would like to perform the below in QA,

1. Shut off the self-service portal for reporting incidents and making requests.
    2. Restrict users from creating new Incidents, Problems and Changes.

Do we have any best practice for the above requirements. Please suggests

Regards,

Mohan

• 2.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 17, 2016 12:46 AM

Hello,

You should be able to accomplish this by modifying the functional access and removing the employee user role from the access type and contact role tab.

1. Remove employee role from access type and role tab on user contact page.

2. Set analyst role functional access for r/i/p and chg from modify to view.

• 3.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 18, 2016 01:33 AM

Hi Bruneau,

Thanks for response. I have already tried the above two options in which I can able to block the ESS by doing so. But, for 2nd option, users are not able to work with their existing tickets i.e. users not able to assign/transfer the existing tickets, do we have any other option to achieve this,

users shouldn't be able to create new tickets but they should be able to assign/transfer/update status of existing tickets.

Regards,

Mohan

• 4.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2016 03:43 AM

Hi Mohan,

As you wanted to restrict users from creating a new ticket however they should be able to edit/update them.

You may probably try to edit the respective menu bar for that sepecific role, Or you may use data partition and set restricting on creation.

~Vinod.

• 5.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 18, 2016 01:52 AM

Hi,

I misread your 2nd request. Instead of changing the functional access you can accomplish this by modifying the menu bar htmpl file, list, and detail files.

If you are unsure how to do this you can attach the files mentioned below and I'll modify them for you. We don't have a 12.7 environment anymore so I would need them attached to this thread.

What I would do is comment out the pdm macros that display the file->new I/P/Chg. 

Hide the create problem/change buttons on I/P/Chg.

Turn off the right click copy and create button on the list forms.

Detail_in

Detail_pr

Detail_chg

List_in

List_pr

List_chg

Menubar_sd (may not be this particular Menu bar file, find the one used to by the analyst role. )

• 6.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 19, 2016 06:02 AM

Hi Bruneau,

Please clarify which files we need to edit it, do we need to edit all the below named files under respective role folder or in general "analysts" folder file change alone is enough. Also, am unable to locate the analysts menubar file.Please advise.

Detail_in

Detail_pr

Detail_chg

List_in

List_pr

List_chg

Menubar_sd (may not be this particular Menu bar file, find the one used to by the analyst role. )

• 7.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2016 12:53 PM

Hello,

I'm glad that jmayer commented in this thread.  Often I jump to the tactical solution without stopping to think about what the business is really looking for.  I want you to keep in mind that having a QA/UAT environment with a different set of files from Production isn't really a good idea.  When you perform upgrades you will need to keep that in mind as you can't simply copy your modified forms between environments.

With that said I'll list the steps required to modify the files to your specifications.  If your Analyst roles share the same files then you only need to modify one set of them.  Modified files located in NX_ROOT\site\mods\www\htmpl\Analyst will apply to all Analyst form groups.

Menubar Modification

• To locate the menubar file your roles are using navigate to Administration>Security and Roles>Role List.  Open one of the roles you want to modify and navigate to the Resources Tab.  Now in the tab list open the Service Desk tab.  From here open the Menu Bar.  This screen shows you the specific menubar file used by this role.

• Now that you know which menubar file to update open web screen painter on the primary/background server.  Press the open dialog, then navigate to the menubar file.

• Open the file and switch to the source tab.  Note when you modify a default Analyst file the new modified version will be saved in NX_ROOT\site\mods\www\htmpl\Analyst

• Within the source tab find the following code segment and add on an open and close pdm_if statement.  Note <PDM_IF 0>code...</PDM_IF> is one way to comment out code.
    <PDM_IF 0>
    <PDM_OBJECT>
    <PDM_IF "$env.NX_CMDB" != "STANDALONE">
    if ( $ACCESS.FAC_in >= 2 ) {

<PDM_MACRO name=menuItem label="New_Incident..." function="ahdtop.create_new('cr',0,'','','PRESET=type:I')" hotkey=I icon_name=new_incident_16.png tooltip="create a new incident">
    }
    </PDM_IF>
    </PDM_OBJECT>
    </PDM_IF>

• Use the same method to comment out the create request, create change, create problem, etc...
    • Once you finish modifying the menubar file save and then check if your other Analyst role menubars need to be updated as well.

List form modification

Updating the list pages is a little easier, you don't need to comment out code instead change a cfg variable.

Change the following variable on each list form.

from

var cfgCanCopy = true;

to

var cfgCanCopy = false;

Detail form modification

Use the following method to disable the Create Problem/Create Change buttons.

Change the Create Problem macro

from

<PDM_MACRO name=button Caption="Create Problem[!ea]" Func="create_new('cr',0,0,0,'PRESET=type:P','INITFROM=frm002', 'PRESET=from_incident:$args.persistent_id')" hotkey_name="Create Problem[!ea]" ID=ITIL_PROBLEM>

to

<PDM_MACRO name=button Caption="Create Problem[!ea]" Disabled="yes" Func="create_new('cr',0,0,0,'PRESET=type:P','INITFROM=frm002', 'PRESET=from_incident:$args.persistent_id')" hotkey_name="Create Problem[!ea]" ID=ITIL_PROBLEM>

• 8.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 18, 2016 02:30 AM

Hello,

I think that easier to restrict customers to create objects via Data partition,

on data partition form for specified role or even user, to block Req/Inc creation, you can create new constraint within table Call_Req, with type = Create, whereclause could be : id=0.

Configuration like this will keep all menus and buttons, but when customer tries to create new object he will be receive message from Error message defined in data partition constraint.

Advantages of this kind of changes in that they are supported by CA Support and could be easily reverted.

Regards,

cdtj

• 9.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 18, 2016 08:45 AM

This is a good idea, sometimes I forget about the simpler solutions.

• 10.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 19, 2016 04:04 AM

Hi Bruneau/cdtj,

I have created the data partition and it is working fine but csmr wants to have disable of the buttons like new req/new inc/new prob/new chg from the respective roles and they will be able to  view the tickets and edit/transfer/close tickets. instead of user getting alert only at the ticket submission. Any best way to achieve this, thanks all for your help.

Regards,

Mohan

• 11.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 19, 2016 04:23 AM

Then I think you would need to go to htmpl form customization as stated by Grant Bruneau with pdm_if statement for this specifics role but I mentioned by cdtj you go to the dark (unsupported) side.

The force be with you I'm sure that some jedi can help you there too

/J

• 12.  Re: Disabling the users ticket creation ability

Posted May 18, 2016 04:22 AM

Hi mohansrinivas,

maybe stupid question but I wondering why will you do that?

How your users will perform QA/UAT if they can't create tickets?

How to perform regression testing if you can validate this part of functionality?.

My approach to this so far as has been to mimic completely production environment but change the banner title and color compare to prod with something that reflect that you are on a DEV/QA/UAt env so your user are warned that this is no real ticket.

Curious what others do too feel free to share

my 2 cents

/J