Service Virtualization

• 1.  Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted May 17, 2016 11:53 AM

Hi All,

I am facing an issue while recording my service using "WS Execution" step. After recording the service, in the response tab of vsi, i am seeing some binary data, even though the request and the response are in SOAP format. Please see below for the screenshot i have attached, to support my query.

Kindly help.

Regards,

Aman Saeed.

• 2.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 02:42 PM

One option is to open the VSI in the DevTest portal and look at it there. http://localhost:1507/devtest/#/login

Other option, use the icon next to "Binary" and change it to another format like XML and see what shows up.

• 3.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jun 07, 2016 06:28 AM

Hi Stefana_Muller,

Thanks for your response. I tried creating VS by using RR pairs. As suggested here, changing it manually to XML format, in the response tab might be time-taking as i have some 500 RR pairs. Is there any other way...It might be because of some encoding...Please advise.

Regards,

Aman Saeed.

• 4.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jun 07, 2016 10:54 PM

Checking on the encoding of the R/R pairs is a good idea.  If you are using a format other than UTF-8 such as Little Endian, you need to specify that during recording so DevTest can perform the correct translations.

• 5.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jun 08, 2016 07:58 AM

Hi J_NeSmith,

The encoding in the request is mentioned as UTF-16. But while creating VS using RR pairs, even though I am mentioning UTF-16 LE (Little Endian), I am still facing this issue.

Please advice.

Regards,

Aman Saeed.

• 6.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 14, 2016 03:00 PM

Hi Aman,

Assumption:  Your SUT and Live System are using an encoding other than UTF-8.

If your live system is responding with an encoding other than UTF-8, try adding a response side DPH (Recording Tab) during recording that converts the live response to UTF-8.  In the Playback tab on the response side DPH, add logic to convert from UTF-8 (VSI view) back to the encoded format expected by the SUT. 

Be aware that if for some reason the XML is invalid, DevTest might consider marking the response as binary.  There are times when an exception will cause the recorder to abort without creating a VSM/VSI.  But, it is also possible that an exception is thrown and the recorder goes ahead and completes the recording.  In your case, it is a good idea to check the log files (Workstation.log) for exceptions during the recording -- just in case there is another issue creating the resulting binary  format.

• 7.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jun 15, 2016 06:55 AM

Thanks J_NeSmith. I would try this approach of DPH. Hope it works...:)

• 8.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jun 16, 2016 01:28 PM

It's possible that you're not getting back a proper response at all, in which case it will be in binary view (this is from my own experience and what Joel said).

Try hitting the live service using the request that you have by creating a Web service test case and see if you are getting back a proper response.

• 9.  Re: Unable to see proper XML in response tab after recording.

Posted Jan 17, 2017 03:39 PM

Aman,

Did Joel's recommendations resolve this issue?