Gen EDGE

• 1.  Gen on Linux or Unix under Z/OS

Posted May 26, 2016 04:56 PM

hi

any experience to run CA Gen on Linux or Unix under Z/OS to use All Java code Advantage client & server

• 2.  Re: Gen on Linux or Unix under Z/OS

Posted May 26, 2016 05:26 PM

t-kamal I'm not sure I understand the question.  Are you asking if anyone has used Gen generated Java on the mainframe?  Or are you asking if anyone has used Gen generated code on zLinux?  Or what?

• 3.  Re: Gen on Linux or Unix under Z/OS

Posted May 28, 2016 06:06 PM

hi john

as i understand  the only way to genrate  Java under mainframe (which i mean in my question) to use unix or Linux  shell inside  mainframe 

• 4.  Re: Gen on Linux or Unix under Z/OS

Posted May 29, 2016 10:00 AM

t-kamal Gen only generates Java from the Windows workstation or from the distributed Client / Server Encyclopedias that run on Windows, AIX or HP-UX.  However, that Java can run on any platform that has a Java Virtual Machine and a Java Application Server such as Web Sphere, Web Logic or JBoss / Wildfly (for EJBs) or HTTP server such as Tomcat (for java web clients).

CA does have at least one client running Gen-generated Java EJBs under Web Sphere on z/OS.  Those EJBs were formerly CICS COBOL servers that were re-platformed to Java EJB.  CA created a prototype to generate Java from a z/OS Host Encyclopedia for this customer but there has not been enough customer interest as yet to actually make that a GA product as yet.  See the discussion on the EDGE community site.

What is the purpose of your question?  What problem are you trying to solve?