Clarity

• 1.  Actual vs. planned % complete values?

Posted May 30, 2016 08:31 AM

Hello,

I am using the duration based %complete method (entry on task level, automatic calculation on summary task and project level).

What I am looking for is a way to compare the this actual %complete value with a planned %complete value (calculated based on the current date).

Is there a way to implement that e.g. on task level: (current_date - start_date) / (finish_date - start_date) ?

...and have it automatically summed up on summary tasks and project level?

Regards,

David

• 2.  Re: Actual vs. planned % complete values?

Posted May 31, 2016 11:01 AM

I am sorry, but cannot get from what you mean by "planned %complete value". Don't think there would be any "planned %complete value" - as far as my knowledge goes.

For the "%complete value" can't you create an Aggregation from the Task List view to show the average of "% complete" ?

NJ

• 3.  Re: Actual vs. planned % complete values?

Posted May 31, 2016 11:48 AM

Thank you for your answer, however, this is not solving my problem to find out what the %complete of a task should be based on the current date.

e.g.

Task A has a duration of 4 days starting on 1.1. and ending on 4.1.

At the end of day 2 (2.1.) the "planned" or "expected" %complete based on duration should be 50%.

Formula: (current_date - start_date) / (finish_date - start_date) or in other words (passed duration) / (total duration).

I want to compare that calculated value with the actual value entered by project managers to see if a task/project is behind or ahead of schedule.

Regards,

David

• 4.  Re: Actual vs. planned % complete values?
    Best Answer

Posted May 31, 2016 12:23 PM

In that case, you would need to have 2 sets of dates:

Start and Finish - These are already available as OOB. You can treat them as planned dates.

Actual Start and Actual Finish is what you will have to create by yourself. Filling the data for these depends on you

For planned and actual % complete, you can have 2 separate attributes that will be populated via process with the formula that you mentioned above

NJ

• 5.  Re: Actual vs. planned % complete values?

Posted Oct 05, 2017 10:08 AM

Hello,

navzjoshi00 yes the solution was to populate new attributes via a process/job every x minutes.

The solutions is implemtented by now, here are some details:

On task level:
    - new attribute 'task completion actual (in days)' = 'task duration' x '% Complete'

- new attribute 'task completion planned (in days)' = 3 cases 
      - if Actual date > ‘Finish date’ => ‘Task duration’

-  if Actual date < ‘Start date’ => 0

- if Actual date is between ‘Start date’ and ‘Finish date’ => Actual date – ‘Start date’

- optional new attribute: '% Complete planned' = 'task completion planned' / 'task duration'

On project level:

- new attribute 'Schedule performance index (time)' = Sum of all 'task completion actual (in days)' / Sum of all 'task completion planned (in days)'

By the way, the theoretical concept behind the question is called "Earned Schedule"
    (similar to Earned Value but based on time not costs):
    http://www.earnedschedule.com/Docs/April%2019_Earned%20Schedule_Walt%20Lipke.pdf

http://www.earnedschedule.com/Docs/Earned%20Schedule%20ContributiontoPM%20(Lipke).pdf

The 'Scheudle performance index (time)' tells you if you project is ahead of / on / behind schedule.

BR David

• 6.  Re: Actual vs. planned % complete values?

Posted May 29, 2018 10:58 AM

Hi David,

Can you share the Gel Script you used in the Task and project level ?

• 7.  Re: Actual vs. planned % complete values?

Posted Jun 07, 2016 05:39 PM

Hi David - Did NJ's response answer your question? If so please mark it as Correct Answer. Thanks!