Release Automation

• 1.  Event driven deployment plan execution

Posted May 31, 2016 04:57 PM

Hi guys!

We want to be able to execute a deployment plan based on an event, for instance a file's creation on some folder in some server in the network (the server having a nolio agent).

Is it possible to achieve something like this? I know that with Jenkins we can execute stuff based on check-ins, but this is not an option for us, because our events are not being versioned.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Patricio

• 2.  Re: Event driven deployment plan execution
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 01, 2016 02:25 AM

hi,

if it is a windows server you might want to look into wmi events and how to execute scripts if the events get triggered.

basically you want an event that triggers on adding a new file to a specific folder, the script that gets executed should then call the CA-RA REST API to trigger a deployment.

I have no knowledge though regarding the wmi events, I was first thinking about writing a windows service which checks everything, but wmi events might be something useful as well. was just something I grabbed from a quick google search.

what you also could do, but I wouldn't recommend it: set up an infinite "deployment" in CA-RA that polls for new files in specified servers and if it finds a new one, you then again use the REST API to create a new deployment based on that file or whatever you need.

best regards

michael

• 3.  Re: Event driven deployment plan execution

Posted Jun 06, 2016 03:51 PM

Hi Patricio.Guarda,

Did Michael's response answer your question? If so, please be sure to mark it as correct.

Thanks,

Melanie

• 4.  Re: Event driven deployment plan execution

Posted Jun 08, 2016 11:12 AM

Hi!

It kinda did, but we still need to check a few things! I'll go ahead and mark it as correct.

Thanks Melanie!