Clarity

• 1.  Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted Jun 09, 2016 02:28 PM

Is there a way to lock down allocation for month's that have passed?

Thanks,

Rachel

• 2.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted Jun 13, 2016 03:21 PM

We used to use "default allocation" and that value was changed fairly regularly, losing what the allocation "used to be" as soon as the default was changed. We've switched to using the Detail views and creating monthly segments and just informed users not to change past values, but I'd be interested if there was a way to "lock them in" that I'm unaware of

• 3.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted Jun 20, 2016 07:48 PM

Hi Rpittenger - Did L.Elias's response help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!

• 4.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted Jul 07, 2016 12:10 PM

This hasn't been answered - not sure why that changed - do you know how to unmark it as answered?

• 5.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted Jul 07, 2016 01:34 PM

Done. Anyone have anything further they can off for Rpittenger ? L.Elias  any other suggestions?

• 6.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted Jul 01, 2016 02:23 PM

We use the detail view as well but unfortunately our users don't always abide to not changing the past allocations.  Our COO stated that when he had Clarity at a previous company they were able to lock previous allocations down down but no one from CA or any users seem to be able to determine how. 

• 7.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted May 24, 2018 12:29 AM

I hope he is not mixing actuals with allocations. Allocations are made editable because that changes dynamically or there is always a chance that allocation need to be modified. This is as per the best practices of Project Management. 

• 8.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted May 28, 2018 01:46 AM

They weren't thinking of the Freeze Date which prevent staff from editing the cost plan prior to the Freeze Date?

• 9.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted May 29, 2018 04:47 PM

Just wondering about the Project Management practices. I was under the impression you plan for the future and manage the current. The past is gone and you cannot change it, but you do report it and compare it to your baseline.

• 10.  Re: Can you lock down allocations for months that have passed?

Posted May 30, 2018 09:25 AM

Agreed with urmas. We would LIKE to be able to report on past actuals vs allocations, but because of this limitation in the tool to preserve past allocations, those reports are unreliable and essentially useless. We will occasionally look at a very short time period, like past 3 months for example), and just understand that it still can't be guaranteed to be accurate, but atleast gives a ballpark. Ideally, I would think changing the default should create a new segment from that date forward, leaving the past in tact.