Clarity

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (June 2016)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (June 2016)

Posted Jun 09, 2016 07:07 PM

Miss the June PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in July for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes.

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes. We're waiting on more CA folks to join. We may have a conflicting meeting.

from Keri to Everyone:

Thank you for letting us know

from Keri to Everyone:

@Chris

Ok Everyone - We're ready!

from Martti K. to Everyone:

What is the difference in use cases for display conditions and secure subpages? Can you use mulstiple display conditions on a secure subpage without issues?

from Eric Gingras to Everyone:

Can you describe what would be the steps to take to enable an  ON-Demand  customer to use single sign on using SAML 2.0 (we would like to use our Active Directory server for authentification)

from Keri to Everyone:

I believe we can't "default" the Show OBS for OBS Unit filtering, is there any other suggestions?

from Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:

@Martti: You can use both together, I wouldn't say there are specifically issues with using them.   Display conditions are aimed at controlling visibility from a usability standpoint, i.e., showing relevant information.  Secured subpages are more with regards to controlling who can and can't see something.  The other consideration to take into account is with respect to list page performance, and which 'Attribute Value Protection' setting you'll need to use with those lists (which can override both of these options if needed).  Display conditions for example are not database query items but things that the app post-processes on each column on each row of the results, and can (depending on the conditions and quantity) add a lot of extra overhead processing time.

@Martti: The main thing I would reinforce is that some people using Display Conditions AS security, and that isn't what it is for or going to help with

@Nick Thanks

from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:

@Eric - we don't have a particular list of steps for SaaS as it depends on the environments and requirements. The best place to start would be to contact your account manager and schedule some time to explain what you want to do and how exactly. They will be able to provide you a list of next steps based on this.

ok thank you Nika, I could not find much documentation in this area.

from Keri to Everyone:

Project/Subproject and Program Finish Dates: states in the documentation that the end date is "automatically redefined based on the end dates of the tasks and assignments." Now, if i update a child finish date, the parent should also update, correct? and in turn, if the parent is a child of a program, shoudln't the program finish date also be updated?

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Keri - what page are you referring to for your question:  "default" the Show OBS for OBS Unit filtering

from Julie Whitney to Everyone:

Where would I find a sample project roadmap that is a feature that will be available in version 14.4? @Julie

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, any of the OBS Unit filter browses. ie. Project, Idea

is there a plan for the REST API to completely replace or have all the equivalent function then we have with XOG… As example I would like to use REST API to create IDEAs (through a mobile App)

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, if i go to the project list page and i have OBS unit as filter on my filter page, i select the OBS i want to use ie. Department, Project, Resource, etc... under the "Show OBS" pull-down. I wanted to know if there were anyother options if I wanted to default this to one of my OBS's. I don't beleive its possible but wanted to atleast ask.

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hi, Is ACWP value calculated using rate value in PPA_MATRIXVALUES or NBI_PROJ_RES_RATES_AND_COSTS table?  We see discrepancy between ACWP and WIP Amount because timesheet posting job ran immediately after making the change to resource rate without running Rate matrix extraction job.  Resource rate in both tables will be same if the Rate Matrix extraction to update.  Any reason why both values are not same? BTW, all resources( and project) are financially enabled

from John W. George (CA Technologies) to Everyone:

@Julie - can you please clarify what you mean by "where would I find a sample project roadmap...".  Because Release 14.4 has already gone GA/SA. Thank you.

@Keri - you are correct, it is not possible

@Ramana : yes, ACWP and all Earned Value, baseline and posting timesheets use the Rate Matrix Extraction. The WIP uses the live matrix values

@Eric : the development of REST APIs is progressing. I will find out what our roadmap is regarding this area and let you know.

from Keri to Everyone:

Project/Subproject and Program Finish Dates: I notice that if i change the child, the parent (master/sub) will update but not the grandparent (program). support said "This is currently working as designed". I don't understand this, as the Project and Program finish date documentation says "automatically redefined based on the end dates of the tasks and assignments.".

@ John: I am looking for documentation that shows an example Project roadmap to help facilitate our functional scope planning for 14.4 GA. Not sure where I would find such an example.  Is it a JasperSoft Advanced Report or is it a report within CA PPM?

06/09/2016    10:22:00 AM    from Keri to Everyone:

Project/Subproject and Program Finish Dates: wouldn't that mean it would roll up from child ==> parent (child) ==> parent

@Kathryn, thank you.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, thank you, i didn't think so.

Is it possible to use aggregated data type to sum an attribute from sub-projects towards Master Projects or if the aggregate type is only to aggregate data within a project itself?

@Eric: The Aggregated Calculated Attribute feature is for summing (or averaging or similar) attributes from sub-OBJECTS, meaning from Team members to Projects or Tasks to Projects.  The relationship between a sub-PROJECT and a master project is a special relationship, so if the data is available on the sub-project which exists as a task in the master project, you may be able to reference it.  But information on the sub-project that isn't captured by the task level in the master would not be possible using that feature.

from Keri to Everyone:

Building Environments: 1. I was wondering if there was any "Best Practice" documentation on building environments? I do understand the content packages and this works well, however, the only downfall i see, is that an Add-in cannot be removed. 2. Content Packages (Add-In - will this be something that will change in the future?

@nick, if the attribute is non related to the task, is there another way we could aggregate it from sub to master?

@Keri : we don't have any best practice on building environments. Is there anything specific in the steps I may advise on?

Yes:  Add-in cannot be removed, but if you don't use an Add-in then you can just go and manually remove the portlets and queries you don't need anymore if they are bothering you. For the moment there are no plans to change this as far as I know.

@Eric: Not currently in any automatic way OOTB, you would need a custom attribute that you then update using a job or process or similar to synchronise and update that attribute in the master, because from a Studio standpoint, a sub-project isn't seen as a sub-object of a master (the functionality that the Aggregated Calculated Attributes are based upon)

@Nika If there is some sample data like resources and roles, thosee cannot be removed.

from Lowell to Everyone:

@Chris, can I get a copy of the whole chat?  I joined late, sorry.

@Nick, thank you.

@Lowell just right click in the chat box and Select all

from Lowell to Everyone:

I have a strange issue:  When I use XOG to write to Project to update Team Resources, I get an error when a project is associated with a specific Department:

from Keri to Everyone:

@Nika, thank you. Nothing really specific, i jsut think the client wants to know. I believe that xog, documentaiton, packages, maunally using a playbook all work... Yes. that is exactly what i have been doing, just deleting the portlet/query

from Lowell to Everyone:

@Martti - I joined late, so, I only see chat from 10:29am

@Martti, yes, those cannot be removed, but they can be deactivated. If there is a specific use case of this being a concern, I'd suggest an idea to be raised on the Communities, this is the good way to actually get it voted and for PM to see what the impact is.

@Lowell sent privately @Martti unfortunatley chat only shows what is there as of when u join

from Lowell to Everyone:

Any ideas on how to find the cause of this error:  java.sql.SQLException: [CA Clarity][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-01422: exact fetch returns more than requested number of rows

ORA-06512: at "NIKU.OBS_FROM_TYPE_AND_PATH", line 65

ORA-06512: at line 1

@Lowell, then you have to wait till Chris posts the chat in the community.

from Lowell to Everyone:

@Martti - Thanks!  I didn't realize he posts the chat there.  I thought I had to get it myself

@Lowell: Sounds like you may have an issue in your OBS structure (circular reference or duplicate items), but to figure out where on that one I think it'll need an issue for us to investigate into - a SQL trace / action trace along with the app-ca.log containing the full error would be a good point for us to start with

What is the best way to facilitate a Timesheet Return to the employee's Manager in addition to the investment manager (PM, Service manager)?  This is important for Other Work items that are "owned" by a central team, i.e. not the individual managers. Can this be handled by security rights assignment or requires custom scripting?

@Julie: If I follow your request, the security rights would only govern visibility and editability of the timesheets, and not specific instances but ALL timesheets for a given resource.  I think instead you would need custom scripting (aka GEL in a process step action) to identify who to notify and what to notify them with.

from Sarmistha (CA) Purkayastha to Everyone:

@ Julie- The Project or Program Roadmap report is currently available as part of the PMO Accelerator Advanced Reporting content for 14.4. However, we are still working on updating the documentation. It will be available in the near future. When the documentation becomes available, we will inform you on this support page in the CA PPM 14.4 section: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/recommended-reading/product-related-technical-information/ca-ppm-advanced-reporting-and-database-schema-index.aspx

from Lowell to Everyone:

@Nick - How do I find a "circular reference" in an OBS?

@NicK: Thank you.

@Sarmistha: Thank you.

OK Everyone - We're wrapping up the last questions for today. Thank you all for participating and please join us again in July!

from Keri to Everyone:

So no comments on Project/Subproject and Program Finish Dates:

@Lowell: Not easily I'm afraid, I had a single query for identifying them where the circle was very tight (i.e. OBS nodes that had a child referencing itself, so it was both the child and parent in the same relationship) but the circular reference - if it's even applicable in this case, it may not be - could be nested further down.. it's really not something we have a generic handling for and needs case by case investigation via an issue

@Keri - We're still working on yours:)

from Keri to Everyone:

@Chris, thanks!!

from Lowell to Everyone:

thanks - please, send out the location for the copy of the chat!

from Lowell to Everyone:

@Chris Thanks!

@Lowell try the gcubed's obs html portlet

rom Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

The chat will be posted to the Discussion section of the community later today

from Lowell to Everyone:

@Martti - gcubed OBS HTML Portlet?  Where can I find that?

@Keri @Maria is looking into what we can offer for your question

@Lowell https://communities.ca.com/thread/241698351

from Maria Whiteside to Everyone:

@Keri, This behavior sounds like a defect we have on 14.3 with Master projects and subprojects. However, this defect was fixed in 14.3 Patch3. The issue with the Program dates seems to still be reproducible on that patch version though. The link to the kb regarding the defect with master/subs is this one: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1555501.aspx.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Maria Yes, we opened a case on this... the response from ca support" This is currently working as designed"

from Keri to Everyone:

@Maria case:00418546

from Keri to Everyone:

@Maria, i do not agree that this is working as designed.

from Maria Whiteside to Everyone:

@Kerri, can you send me an email about this and I'll check on this for you. 

from Keri to Everyone:

@Maria, will do. thank you.

Great! Thanks everyone!