CA Service Management

• 1.  REST authenticate and call method in single POST?

Posted Jun 15, 2016 04:09 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to authenticate and invoke a REST method with a single POST?

I am attempting an integration with a third-party tool that supports http POST alerts of events. I would like for this to be able to configure this to call a REST method in Service Desk to create a ticket when this happens. When working with REST in my testing, I have only been able to call a REST method after first calling the rest_access method to obtain a authentication token to be used in future rest calls. Is there any way to authenticate and create a ticket in a single REST post?

• 2.  Re: REST authenticate and call method in single POST?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 16, 2016 03:31 AM

Don't think this is possible at all with rest .You first need to receive your rest access token

/J

• 3.  Re: REST authenticate and call method in single POST?

Posted Jun 16, 2016 07:59 AM

Jerome is correct - you first need to request the access token so you get a session ID, and then you can use that session ID to perform further REST calls.

• 4.  Re: REST authenticate and call method in single POST?

Posted Jun 16, 2016 09:00 AM

Thanks! I assumed as much, but was hoping someone had a work-around. I've submitted an "idea" to allow this Allow REST authentication as part of method call

Guess we will need to use maileater for this integration.

• 5.  Re: REST authenticate and call method in single POST?

Posted Jun 16, 2016 09:29 AM

well if this is for simply create an incident from a monitoring tools, most of them support sending email notifications.

Then you may want to consider sending emails to a mailbox monitored by SDM.

More simple with still some flexibility thanks to the mailbox rules but with the pitfall of email technology in terms of transaction delivery and dependency of your email platform.

My 2 cents

/J

• 6.  Re: REST authenticate and call method in single POST?

Posted Jun 16, 2016 09:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestion... that is my current plan based on the maileater comment I made above