Clarity

• 1.  Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 17, 2016 03:53 PM

Hi All.

As a normal part of patching, after a patch I like to pop the About box to confirm. I've applied patch 7 to CA PPM 14.3 and patch 5.1.0.3 to Jaspersoft.

In the About dialog in CA PPM, the CA PPM reads properly. Shouldn't I expect Jaspersoft to read something like "6.1_5.1.0.3"?

version.jpg

The patch install read 'Success'.

According to the Jasper patch readme:

6. Clear the application server (Apache Tomcat Server) 'temp' directory.

[RKE] I'm assuming this is the Jaspersoft Tomcat instance, yes? This is complete.

7. Remove the Application Server's JSP cache.

[RKE] Unsure what this means. I cleared the CA PPM application's security.caches.

8. Start the Apache Tomcat Server, on which JRS is deployed.

[RKE] Complete.

9. Clear browser cache on client.

[RKE] Complete.

Did I miss something? Should I expect the version to update in the About box in CA PPM? Is there another way to verify the Jaspersoft server has been patched correctly?

• 2.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 20, 2016 10:48 PM

Step 7 above - "Remove the Application Server's JSP cache"

Does this mean the tomcat 'work' folder? If so, why not just say that? Step 6 says "Clear the application server (Apache Tomcat Server) 'temp' directory"...

If step 7 is "Clear the application server (Apache Tomcat Server) 'work' directory - be consistent and say it. If not, please provide me more information about what one should do.

I'd also recommend being more precise about the 'Application Server' verbiage. CA PPM is ultimately 'THE' application here. If these instructions are about the Jaspersoft Application - let's be specific about that and say that.

BTW - bump. I've tried everything I can think of. Should I not expect the Help dialog box to update based upon the Jaspersoft patch level? If not, please let me know so I can move forward.

• 3.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 21, 2016 04:16 AM

Totally agree, the instructions are not clear and it is not possible to see if Jaspersoft patch has actually deployed successful (at least not on 14.2 with 5.6.1 Jasper).

• 4.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 21, 2016 03:54 AM

Hi Robert,

You need to clear the JSP cache of Apache Tomcat server. So, "Remove the Application Server's JSP cache." is for Tomact application server.

After successful application of patch the Jaspersoft version/build should display the correct version with patch.

Thank You!!

Namita Mishra

• 5.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 21, 2016 07:48 AM

Hi Namita. How does one "Remove the Application Server's JSP cache"?

Which Application Server? CA PPM's Tomcat or Jaspersoft's Tomcat?

• 6.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 21, 2016 09:34 AM

Hi Robert,

It's Jaspersoft's Tomcat.

Thank You!!

Namita Mishra

• 7.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 21, 2016 09:41 AM

"You need to clear the JSP cache of Apache Tomcat server. So, "Remove the Application Server's JSP cache."

Does anyone know the process for this?

• 8.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2016 10:19 AM

Hi Rob,

We need to look back at our documentation, what is required is to clear the content under the Jaspersoft tomcat work folder.  Nothing else is required.

Please see this technical document should help you

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1763972.aspx

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 9.  Re: Jaspersoft Version after Patch

Posted Jun 21, 2016 11:57 AM

Thanks Suman, Namita.

Namita and I had a chance for a quick chat and I'd like to capture a trick she taught me here for the next forum traveler.

To verify patch level of the Jaspersoft Application.

1) Log into the application directly through the direct URL as superuser. (eg http://<jaspersoft host>:8080/reportservice)

2) Once logged in, add the following to the URL after reportservice: /rest_v2/jaasServerInfo

3) You will be presented with the REST API output as shown below.

rest_api.jpg