Release Automation

• 1.  Tech Tip:How to run interactive command line

Posted Jun 19, 2016 03:12 AM

In same cases deployment tasks include execution of scripts that required user inputs through interactive prompts during the script execution.

The following example can assist you automate similar scenarios:

Assuming I have deployment script name "interactive.sh" which include 2 interactive questions:

1.Confirmation for program installation

2.Program installation path

Example for manual installation:

In CA RA you can use run command line action and pass the user input using echo command (\\n use for new line sequence)

• 2.  Re: Tech Tip:How to run interactive command line

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2016 09:43 AM

That's neat, Jacky. I didn't know that. Another trick, which I'm not sure how reliable it is for use in production, might be to use/call an expect script.

Cheers,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: Tech Tip:How to run interactive command line

Posted Jun 20, 2016 10:10 AM

Yes

You can use expect command but its not part of the OS by default and required to write some scripts.

• 4.  Re: Tech Tip:How to run interactive command line

Posted Oct 04, 2018 01:47 AM

Hi Jacky, i am using a script where there are some menu driven steps in a script.. like 

need to execute option 4 and 9 .. in a sequence ..

using printf "3/n9"|./test.sh command..

while running this command on ksh shell ,..mouse is continuously scrolling up and down and not to quit from script.

• 5.  Re: Tech Tip:How to run interactive command line

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2018 09:21 AM

Based on the suggestion above I believe you would maybe need to try and run (should be able to confirm by doing it manually on a machine before trying it in RA): echo "4\\n9\\n" | printf "3/n9" | ./test.sh

I wonder if the printf "3/n9" portion of your command is used to specify option 3 and then 9. If so and it isn't working then maybe try it with: echo "3\\n9\\n" | ./test.sh

Regards,

Gregg